Disability Services banner
Disability Services

Contact Us

Office Hours
Monday - Friday, 8am-5pm
Thursday, closed 8am-9am
Educational Services Building
Located in Advising & Counseling
Room 4114
(505) 566-3271
(505) 566-3643 Tech Lab
(505) 566-4408 Fax
Send an email 


San Juan College was founded with the commitment that anyone with a desire to succeed should have access to education.

Our Disability Services team is committed to ensuring that students with disabilities have the same access as other SJC students to the variety of educational programs, opportunities, and activities offered at SJC. Our approach is to coordinate our services with you, faculty, and staff to remove any barriers to learning you might encounter while maintaining the highest level of academic integrity. 

Our vision is to be a resource to SJC employees and all members of the community by promoting access and disability awareness through workshops, resources, and outreach.

Let us help you!

Contact our Disability Services Coordinator to check your eligibility for disability services. Once you have been approved, we will be happy to provide reasonable and appropriate accommodations, set you up with adaptive technologies, and determine if there are other services we can offer you.

Click on a heading below to expand the section.

Applicable Laws

-Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does not specifically name all of the impairments that are covered.

You may qualify for services if you meet the definition of disability.

What is the definition of disability?

Disability is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) as:

  1. a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity; or
  2. a record of a physical or mental impairment that substantially limited a major life activity; or
  3. when an entity (e.g., an employer) takes an action prohibited by the ADA based on an actual or perceived impairment. 42 U.S.C. § 12102(2); see also 29 C.F.R. § 1630.2(g).

You must meet the requirements of at least one of these three criteria to be an individual with a disability under the Act.

  • The phrase “major life activities” means functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
  • The phrase “has a record of such an impairment” means has a history of, or has been misclassified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
  • The phrase is “regarded as having an impairment” means—
    • Has a physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit major life activities but that is treated by a public entity as constituting such a limitation;
    • Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits major life activities only as a result of the attitudes of others toward such impairment; or
    • Has none of the impairments defined in paragraph (1) of this definition but is treated by a public entity as having such an impairment.

-Section 504

No otherwise qualified individual with a disability shall solely by reason of his or her disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

-Title II of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

No qualified individual with a disability shall be excluded from participation in or be denied benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity. The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 provided changes to the statute and regulations for Titles I, II, and III and clarify (a) who has a disability entitled to protection under the ADA and Section 504, (b) who is entitled to accommodations, and (c) how those determinations are made and by whom.



Don't let a lack of documentation prevent you from seeking accommodations.

To receive services and/or accommodations, you must self-disclose to the Disability Services Office.

How we determine eligibility

  • Eligibility for services is determined based on relevant documentation and information shared during the interview process. Additional documentation may be required to determine eligibility for services and/or identify effective accommodations. Documentation must be completed by a qualified evaluator, include a clear diagnosis, and describe how the disability impacts you as a student in an academic setting. Reports must include recommendations for specific modifications or accommodations. Documentation guidelines may vary based on the type of disability; the Disability Services Coordinator will provide additional information as needed.
  • Accommodations are determined based on the specific needs of the individual.
  • Some disabilities and their impact on you as a student in an academic setting may change over time. SJC Disability Services may review your student records at times and, if warranted, request updated information.
  • Accommodations for temporary disabilities are not mandated by law according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, students who have disabilities of a temporary nature may receive complimentary accommodations on an as needed basis. To determine eligibility for accommodations, you must follow the process outlined under "Requesting Services."

-Requesting Services


Unless you are requesting accommodations for taking the Accuplacer assessment, you should begin the process to request services after you have enrolled in classes.

Requesting services is as easy as 1-2-3!

  1. Complete the Request for Services form.
  2. Email the form to Disability Services.
  3. Schedule an intake interview by calling (505) 566-3404 or (505) 566-3271.

Suitable accommodations will be discussed and determined by the Coordinator and the student.

If you attend any classes on any campus you must meet with the coordinator in person to complete the initial interview.


You must request accommodations each semester. Contact the Disability Services Coordinator as soon as you enroll. The earlier, the better!

  • The Coordinator will determine whether an appointment is necessary to review information and plan accommodations.
  • The accommodation letter(s) will be sent electronically for online classes only. A copy of the accommodation letter(s) will also be sent to your SJC email address.
  • You must personally deliver, discuss, and obtain signatures on the accommodation letter(s) from the instructor before returning the form to the Disability Services Office. Without the returned form, Disability Services cannot ensure that accommodations will be provided.


-Academic Accommodations

  • Accommodations focus upon removing barriers in the classroom for the student while preserving the integrity of course objectives.
  • Accommodations are not a “one size fits all” and will vary between people who have the same types of disabilities.
  • Examples of common accommodations include: adaptive technology, alternate format, copies of notes, preferential seating, sign language interpretation, test modifications, etc.
  • Accommodations must be requested each semester.

-Adaptive Technology

  • Alternate Format Alternate format may include enlarged font, braille, audio books, etc. You should contact the Instructional Aide II in the Disability Technology Lab for assistance. You must provide a copy of the receipt when requesting books in audio format. You are strongly encouraged to request material in alternate format as early as possible to ensure the material is available before the start of class. SJC will attempt to provide material in alternate format within 7 days of the request.
  • Use of software Speech to text (Dragon Naturally Speaking Dictation) and text to speech (Kurzweil) software is available at SJC East, SJC West, and Main campuses.
  • Copies of Notes The Coordinator will work with you to determine the type of note taking services that will be provided. You will be required to sign the note taker agreement each semester.

-Deaf and Hard of Hearing Support

  • Captioning Instructors or presenters are required to ensure the material used at San Juan College can be used by all people. Videos must have accurate captioning.
  • FM Systems Students and visitors should request the loan of an FM system at least 3 days in advance of use.
  • Interpretation To best ensure interpreting services will be available, students and visitors are strongly encouraged to request them as soon as they know the service will be needed. Interpretation services may be provided by a live interpreter or via video remote interpreting.

-Preferential Seating

  • You are encouraged to arrive to class early so you can choose a seat that is conducive to your learning style and personal needs.
  • Although Disability Services will make every effort to have the room ready before the first day of class, if you use a wheelchair, you may need to contact the Disability Services Office to remind them if accessible tables need to be placed in the classroom.
  • Classroom furniture marked with the disability access symbol is reserved for students with disabilities.

-Test-Taking Modifications

  • Test time may be extended based on student need.
  • Testing in a separate or distraction free environment may be appropriate.
  • Tests may be provided in audio format
  • If indicated, use of software or a scribe may be approved.

Most accommodations are coordinated from the Disability Technology Lab in the Advising and Counseling Center, Room 4115/1B.


-Personal Care Attendants

SJC makes every reasonable effort to accommodate individuals with disabilities as addressed by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended. In keeping with this commitment, Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) may be necessary to address the personal needs of a student with a disability so that he/she can participate in the College's activities, services, and programs.

In order for the student who requires PCA services to have the same independent experience as all other college students, it is in the student's best interests to hire an impartial PCA who is not a family member or close friend.

An otherwise qualified student who requires personal attendant services must make arrangements to provide for his/her own personal attendant service. SJC does not assume coordination or financial responsibilities for personal attendant services.At the student’s request, Disability Services will endeavor to provide a list of agencies that provide attendant care services on a regular basis.

It is the student's responsibility to:

  • Submit appropriate documentation to Disability Services that supports the necessity of having a PCA.
  • Secure a PCA prior to attending any college-related activity (i.e. placement testing, enrollment, or class attendance). The College will not be responsible for providing a PCA.
  • Ensure that each PCA registers with Disability Services and signs the Personal Care Attendant Agreement form each term.
  • Direct the activities of the PCA while at San Juan College.
  • Have a back-up plan or alternative plan of action should the regular PCA not be available to work with him/her on a particular day or in a particular class.
  • Follow the College's policies and abide by the Student Code of Conduct.
  • Pay for all PCA services or secure payment through a third party.
  • Notify Disability Services of any changes in PCA.
  • Ensure that if personnel changes occur during the term, he/she and the new PCA contact the Disability Services Office and sign a new PCA Agreement Form.
  • Notify the Coordinator if note-taking services are needed.

The Personal Care Attendant is expected to:

  • Follow all applicable college policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
  • Provide a letter from the attendant’s employing agency specifying the individual’s direct supervisor and contact information.
  • Wear a Guest SJC ID, which will be provided by SJC in order to facilitate identification as an attendant by instructors and other SJC staff.
  • Allow the student to take responsibility for his/her own progress in class.
  • Refrain from performing tasks related to student participation, i.e. participating in class discussions, engaging in or intervening in conversations between the student and faculty, staff, or other students, etc.
  • Refrain from discussing any confidential information about the student with faculty, staff, or students.
  • Refrain from performing tasks related to providing education i.e. tutoring, note taking, test proctoring, etc.
  • Stay outside of the classroom and wait for the student unless given permission by Disability Services or an instructor to do otherwise.

The College is expected to:

  • Provide academic or program access accommodations for a student with physical/medical impairments.
  • Provide reasonable accommodations to address the student’s disability within the classroom and service areas of the college. Accommodations are determined through Disability Services.
  • Provide appropriate accommodations, for example, a note-taker for class or lab setting, a scribe to record responses or complete forms, provision of adaptive equipment within the classroom or lab setting that will allow the student equal access to the college and its programs.

It is not the responsibility of the college to provide services to meet the personal needs of the student. Example of those services may include, but are not limited to, transfer from a car/van to a wheelchair; transportation to or from the classroom, administrating medication; addressing toilet, feeding or dressing needs, etc.

If the student or a PCA fails to abide by the above procedures, Disability Services may make a determination that the PCA will not be allowed to accompany the student on campus. There may also be a disciplinary action taken against the student through the Vice President for Student Services for inappropriate behavior as defined in the Student Code of Conduct.

A copy of these guidelines must be signed by the student, Personal Care Attendant /Agency Representative, and SJC Disability Services Staff. A copy will be placed in the student file and forwarded with the Accommodation Letter.

-Service Animals

San Juan College follows Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Title II and Title III regarding the use of service animals.  Service animals will not be excluded from SJC campus and activities.

Animals not recognized as service animals under the ADA are not allowed anywhere on the SJC campus.


What animals qualify as service animals?

  • Service dogs, as defined by the ADA, is a dog individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. Examples: guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling people using a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder during a panic attack, etc. The work or task a dog has been trained to do must be directly related to the person’s disability.
  • Animals used to promote feelings of well-being, comfort, or emotional support do not perform a specific task. Therefore, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

What are your responsibilities?

  • You must be prepared to answer two questions: 1) "Is the service animal required because of a disability?"; and, 2) "What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?"  You are not expected to share information about your disability, provide special medical documentation, present a special training card or training documentation for the animal, or make the animal demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
  • Students or visitors with a disability desiring to use a service animal on campus are encouraged but not required to first contact the Disability Services Coordinator.
  • Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices.  In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
  • You cannot be asked to remove your service animal from the premises unless: 1) the animal is out of control and you do not take effective action to control it; or, 2) the animal is not housebroken. When there is a legitimate reason the animal must be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal present.
  • Animal behavior that is disruptive or interferes with performing normal duties and activities will be considered a violation of student conduct rules. Each situation must be considered individually. Past experience or public opinion about the breed or type of animal may not be used to make assumptions about how an animal may behave.
  • Non-life threatening allergies or fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals.
  • Owners must ensure that the service animal is licensed in accordance with county regulations and wears a vaccination tag. The owner is responsible for cleaning up after their service animal.

If you have any questions as to whether an animal qualifies as a service animal, contact the ADA Service Coordinator who will make a determination.

Your Privacy

-Privacy Statement

The Disability Services Office is committed to protecting the student’s right to privacy. Information specific to the student’s diagnosis or disability is confidential information and cannot be shared with anyone without the student’s written consent. The student may choose to disclose their disability to anyone at any time.


show all

Disability Services FAQs

Where is the Disability Service Office located?
What is a disability?
How can the Disability Services help me?
What does the term “accommodation” mean?
Who is eligible for services and "reasonable accommodation"?
How do I request Disability Services?
What can I expect from the intake appointment?
What forms do I need to bring for the initial meeting?
Does SJC provide or fund evaluations to determine if I have a disability?
Who will know that I have a disability?
What types of services and/ or accommodations are offered to Disability Services Students?
What is my role in making accommodations work?
Do I have to request accommodations each semester?
Do I have to pay for the assistive technology that I need?
Is there a due date for the Request for Services Form?
Why does my friend have the accommodation of extended test time but I don’t?
I have a disability but don’t need any accommodations. Do I need to notify the Disability Services Office?
How do instructors know I have accommodations?
I have the letters of accommodations to give to my instructors but I don’t think I need them for one of my classes. Do I still have to give them to the instructor?
I have a temporary injury that impacts my learning. Can I get accommodations?
Does the Disability Services Office provide tutoring?
I’m a dual credit student with an IEP (Individual Educational Plan) or 504 Plan. Doesn’t the college have to follow it?
Are there “special ed classes or “pull outs” in college?
I am having a hard time in my classes because English is not my primary language. Can I get accommodations?
What should I do if my accommodation needs are not being met?
What should I do if I have an academic dispute with my professor?
What should I do if I believe I’ve experienced discrimination because of my disability?
I have a disability but wanted to try classes without accommodations and now my grades are low. Can I get accommodations retroactively?
Are waivers or substitutions of courses that are required by SJC possible?
Could I be considered “too disabled” to attend SJC?
I need to take placement or licensing exams proctored by an outside agency. What do I need to do to obtain accommodations for these tests?
Do you have a question or concern that you don’t see listed here?