School of Health Sciences
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Note: Dr. Julius Manz presided over the meeting in Dean
- Service Learning Mip Van
Mip has replaced Larry Palmer as
the Service Learning Director. During her presentation she covered that many
options and benefits Service Learning can provided our students:
- Link academic studies with service experience.
- Personal growth and development for participants.
- Lifelong commitment to service and civic involvement.
Mip provided a handout of her
presentation to all attendees.
- New Refund Policy Dianne
Dianne went over the following
1. The new
refund policy that has been attached to the drop for non-pay policy.
2. The new
full payment guidelines.
3. The new
general refund policy.
The new guidelines and polices will
be in effect starting in spring 2010. Dianne provided tow handouts, one for
staff giving a detailed explanations and specific dates; and one to handout to
students as a general reminder.
- Counseling Center Update
Stacey commented on how the new
refund policy will affect the students. Historically, SJC has been very lenient
regarding drops for non-pay. Though the new policy is in keeping with national
standard, the students will need to be reminded often. The new policy will
allow us to fill sections with properly screened and prepared students. New
Student Orientation is next week. Two of the five sections are completely full.
- Health Sciences Newsletter
The newsletter for November/December
was handed out.
- Department Updates
- Dental Work on accreditation continues.
- HHPC Students are being invited to come de-stress
during finals weeks by participating in the Wii Games. The Marcel Beige
was recognized for obtaining a permit from the BLM for OLER activities in
- HIT Department absent from meeting.
- MLT The first cohort is finishing up over the next few
weeks. Mary and Jackie are continuing work on accreditation.
- Nursing Nursing is currently in the open application
period. The Track II pinning ceremony will be on December 16th
in the 9000s rooms.
- PTA All department updates are in the current
- Physical Education Bev had no updates at this time.
- Simulation Center No updates available at this time.
- Respiratory The self-study has been sent to CoArc.
Classes are scheduled to start in February.
- Surgical Tech The new
Surgical Tech Instructor, Jeremy White, will be starting on January 4th.
Their pinning ceremony will be on December 14th in the Zia.
The next cohort will be starting in January. Fifteen students have been
accepted into the program.