Logging in to Canvas For the First Time
Google Chrome web browser is the best browser to use with Canvas
To download Google Chrome, visit this website http://www.google.com/chrome/
Access the San Juan College Canvas page by visiting https://canvas.sanjuancollege.edu/login
For Student Accounts, your username is first initial + middle initial + last name (first 12 characters only) + last two digits of your Social Security number, and your password is “sjcp” + the last 4 digits of your student ID number.
You can find your ID number on your ID card or on your welcome letter from San Juan College.
Example: The account for student John A. Smith, 123-45-6789, student id 0000123 would look like this:
Still can’t log in? Check out the Password Recovery Center: https://www.sanjuancollege.edu/reset
Canvas User Guides are accessible by visiting https://guides.instructure.com
First Day of an Online Course
All online courses follow dates specified in WebAdvisor when you registered for classes. Please check the SJC course schedule for the exact date. Online students are expected to log in to Canvas (http://canvas.sanjuancollege.edu) on the first day of class.
When you log into your online course, you will see the course cards on your Dashboard. If your courses do not display, click the Courses icon, then click the All Courses link. Click the star next to a course to add it to the Dashboard. Those courses with yellow stars are displayed on the Dashboard.
San Juan College’s online courses are not self-paced. Each instructor has a schedule with assignment due dates that must be met. Online courses typically end on the last day of finals for the semester, however, there are some exceptions. See the SJC course schedule for that exact date each semester.
Additional Tech Support
Students needing additional tech support can visit the ITC website. ITC can assist you with San Juan College user accounts, accessing the internet on San Juan College campuses, and many other technology questions.
Canvas Mobile App
Pearson’s MyLab & Mastering Registration Using Canvas
Introduction to LockDown Browser for Canvas
Getting Started with MindTap on Canvas for Inclusive Access Courses
Registering for Connect through Canvas – Deep Integration
Unplag Submission Process
Scheduling an exam in SmarterProctoring
Knowledge Base for SmarterProctoring
Taking an exam with B Virtual
Accessibility & Privacy Policies for Technology Tools
When I try to log into Canvas I get an “Invalid Username or Password” error.
- Canvas accounts are created when you register for classes for the first time. If you have not registered for classes since 2013, your account will be created after you register.
- If you are a dual credit student, your account will be created when you are accepted to San Juan College.
- If you have had access to Canvas in the past, confirm that you are using the correct username and password. Passwords can be reset at: sanjuancollege.edu/reset. You should set your security questions, if you have not already done that so that you are able to reset your password in the future.
- If you have confirmed your username and reset your password and are still unable to login, please call the help desk at 505-566-3266 or create a ticket at sanjuancollege.edu/itc.
I can’t see my courses on the dashboard.
- Ensure that you are in dashboard view by clicking the gear at the top right of the dashboard window. Select the “Course Cards” option. Only currently active courses are displayed by default.
- If you are not seeing an active course (the course has already started), click on the Courses link in the blue global navigation pane on the left side of the screen. Then click the “All Courses” link. Active courses are at the top of the list, followed by past enrollments and then future enrollments. Any course listed under future enrollments has not started yet. The stars to the left of each course name control what appears on the dashboard. Gold stars are on the dashboard and white stars are not on the dashboard. Click a star to toggle between options.
- If your courses has started and is grayed out on the courses list, your instructor has not yet published it. Please contact your instructor to find out when it will be published.
- If your course does not appear in any of the lists, please put in a help desk ticket at sanjuancollege.edu/itc.
My assignment won’t upload, the cursor just spins.
- Be sure that you are using Chrome, Safari, or Firefox as your browser. We have found that Internet Explorer and Edge do not consistently allow assignment uploads.
I can’t see content (modules, pages, assignments, discussions, or quizzes) in my course.
- Contact your instructor, as those items may not have been published.