If you enroll your eligible dependents within 31 days of eligibility, coverage will begin on the first date of eligibility or the date of birth for newborns. Eligibility for dependents is defined as:
- Date of marriage
- Date of birth, adoption, placement, or legal guardianship
- Dependent child is still under the age of 26
- Change in family status as defined by Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Service code (see next section for qualifying events.)
A dependent loses eligibility to participate in the group health plan on the last day of the month in which they turn 26.
The employee may choose to drop their dependent from their insurance coverage under these circumstances:
- Dependent gets married and insurance coverage is provided under their spouses employment
- Dependent has insurance coverage under their employment
You would have a 31 day window to drop the dependent and provide proof of insurance coverage.
|In most cases, a dependent may be eligible to continue insurance coverage through the provisions of COBRA. You have 60 days from the qualifying event of the date you receive notice of you continuation rights (whichever is later) to enroll.