Track II Program Option
TRACK II PROGRAM SELECTION REQUIREMENTS [top]
To be eligible for the nursing program selection process, students must have:
- A minimum high school or college cumulative GPA of 2.75, or comparable GED scores. The GPA requirement must be fulfilled at the end of the fall semester prior to application deadline. College GPA is based on a current cumulative GPA with a minimum of 12 non-remedial credits, those numbered 110 or higher.
- Enrolled as a San Juan College student. http://www.sanjuancollege.edu/pages/3535.asp
- Taken the Accuplacer (ACC) exam and completed appropriate courses according to San Juan College policy as described in the college catalog. The most recent Accuplacer score will determine the required courses.
- Completed two semesters of high school chemistry in the past five years with a grade of “C” or higher in each semester OR completed college level chemistry with a grade of "C" or higher OR enroll in college chemistry no later than the spring semester, prior to beginning the nursing program. If enrolled in Chemistry in the spring semester at a college other than San Juan College, submit verification of enrollment to the Nursing Department.
- Taken the ATI TEAS V (Test of Essential Academic Skills V) exam and obtained the minimum eligible Adjusted Individual Total Score. Topics for this exam include reading, math, science and English. Study guides are available in the SJC Bookstore or can be ordered on the ATI (Assessment Technologies Institute) website: http://www.atitesting.com. Additional preparation resources include practice exams available through the ATI webiste and tutoring assistance in the San Juan College Center for Student Engagement. The exam may be taken once per test period with a recommended 6 week interval between exams. If a student has tested during both testing periods, the highest eligible score will be used. Scores must be submitted by deadline.
- Submitted a complete nursing program application. Note: If reapplying for selection, a new application is required. Applications received in the nursing department after the application deadline will not be eligible for the selection process.
- Completed all science courses by the end of the spring semester of application year (CHEM 110, BIOL 224, BIOL 252, BIOL 253) with a grade of "C" or higher. (BIOL 224, BIOL 252 & BIOL 253 must not be older than 5 years)
- Completed all other general education courses with the exception of one three-credit hour course by the end of the summer semester prior to admission (PSYC 120, PSYC 230, ENGL 111, ENGL 211 or ENGL 218, two three- credit hour approved electives). Eligible courses that may be taken during the first program semester are: PYSC 230, or ENGL 211 or 218, or one three-credit our approved elective.
PROGRAM PRE- REQUISITE REQUIREMENTS - TRACK II
- BIOL 224 - Microbiology (no older than 5 years). BIOL 121 is a pre-requisite for this course. To fulfill this pre-requisite, two semesters of high school biology must have been completed within the past 5 years with a grade of "C" or higher OR completed college BIOL 121 or equivalent with a grade of "C" or higher.
- BIOL 252 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I ( no older than 5 years). TO fulfill thsi pre-requisite, two semesters of high school biology must have been completed within the past 5 years with a grade of "C" or higher OR completed college BIOL 121 or equivalent with a grade of "C" or higher.
- BIOL 253 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II ( no older than 5 years).
- All general education courses with the exception of one three-credit hour course much be completed by the end of the summer semester prior to admission into NURS 125 (PSYC 120, PSYC 230, ENGL 111, ENGL 211 or ENGL 218, two three-credit hour approved electives). Eligible courses that may be taken during the first program semester are: PSYC 230, ENGL 211 or 218, or one three credit-hour approved elective. and science classes that are required for the ADN degree must be completed with a "C" or higher.
- Maintain a GPA of 2.75 in order to start NURS 125.
- Demonstrate competence in the 21 Basic Skills. Students will complete the 21 Basic Nursing Skills requirement after notification of acceptance into the program. Skills completion is scheduled at the end of the spring semester.
- Completing all requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the Track II Program. Prerequisites and general education courses are:
BIOL 224 Microbiology
BIOL 252 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
BIOL 253 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
PSYC 120 Introduction to Psychology
PSYC 230 Human Development
ENGL 111 Freshman Composition
ENGL 211 Advanced Composition OR English 218 Advanced Technical Composition
Elective 1 Approved Elective
Elective 2 Approved Elective
TRACK II APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications for the Track II Program Option can be obtained in the Nursing Department or on-line October through the application deadline date for classes starting the subsequent fall semester. Applications will only be accepted during the designated time period. The following must be received by the application deadline:
- Submit a complete San Juan College Nursing Program Application to the Nursing Department. Applications can be submitted in person or by postal mail.
- Submit official transcripts from high school and any other colleges to the San Juan College Enrollment OFfice (Admissions and Records Office), 4601 College Boulevard, Farmington, NM 87402. The Admissions Office will evaluate previous college transcripts for possible transfer credit. All transcripts should be received in the San Juan Admissions Office by the application deadline.
- Submit a record of attendance during the open application period for the on-line information session. Previous information sessions do not apply due to updated information concerning the application process.
- Complete TEAS V Exam and submit TEAS score results to the nursing department. Instructions on scheduling the TEAS exam are included in the current application packet.
Application Deadline for Fall 2012 Class Selection is 5:00 pm
February 3, 2012
Selection and Acceptance
Selection of students to the San Juan College nursing program is based on a point system. Students are ranked according to total points. Nursing Program slots are filled beginning with the highest ranking students.
Students will be notified of acceptance into the nursing program by mail in April. Applicants who have not met the basic program eligibility requirements will also be contacted by mail regarding their status.
Once students have confirmed their acceptance, a detailed information packet will be mailed with the specific instructions and guidelines regarding the requirements (i.e. , immunizations, CPR, etc.) that need to be completed prior to starting NURS 125. One component of these requirements is demonstrating competence in the 21 Basic Nursing Skills. Those skills and options are outlined in the application packet and are also available under the Track I Selection and Acceptance Process - Step 3 .
- GPA - GPA is taken from the most current (or combined) transcript (s) having a minimum total of 12 non-remedial college credits and verified through the San Juan College Admissions and Records Office. A maximum of 45% of points will be awarded based on the cumulative GPA.
- ATI Test of Essentail Academic Skills V (TEAS V) score. A maximum of 50% of points will be awarded based on the Adjusted Individual Total Score.
- Residence Status: Guidelines for residence status will follow San Juan College determination guidelines which can be found in the San Juan College Academic Catalog. The Academic Catalog can be obtained from the Admisssions and Records Office or can be viewed online: http://www.sanjuancollege.edu. Please refer residence status questions to the Admissions and Records Department at 505-566-3545. A maximum of 5% of points will be awarded based on residence status.
Nursing Department 505-566-3224
For more information, please call Department of Nursing at (505) 566-3224.
Or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.