Click here to take survey

Veterans Administration

The Veterans online application is the fastest way for you to apply for your VA educational benefits. The Veterans Online Application, VOAPP, can be used in place of Forms-1990. We do have computers available for you, these computers are located in front of the financial aid office. Most San Juan College Associates' programs and certain certificate programs are eligible for VA benefits. You can confirm your program's eligibility by going to the VA website or simply click here and type in San Juan College. It is also very important that you begin the initial process 6-8 weeks in advance before the semester begins as delays may prolong the benefit process. Some VA questions and concerns as well as detailed information may be answered on the VA website which is

Veterans Educational Benefits

Post 9/11 GI Bill: Chapter 33 ~ This is the newest educational benefit offered to VA students who served on active duty for at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001 or were discharged with a service-related disability after 30 continous days. Veterans can also transfer benefits to their dependents, to find out additional information about transferring benefits Click Here. Benefits include the following:


Cost of Tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition. (NM max=$212.58, paid directly to school) $53.75 per credit hour In-state tuition at San Juan College
Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as school.(Paid directly to student) $941.00 per month using SJC zip code
Annual book stipend award based on class schedule. (Paid directly to student) Up to $1000.00 per year
A one-time payment if you have relocated to a county which has 6 people or less per square mile.(Paid directly to student) $500.00 if applicable


Montgomery GI Bill: Chapter 30 ~ This type of benefit is the most common VA educational program and is applicable to Veterans who have been honorably discharged and have a high school diploma or GED and fall into one of four categories. Your benefits would last 36 months, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

Category I Category II Category III Category IV

Entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985

Entered active duty before January 1,1977 Category I or II do not apply to you On active duty on 10/9/96 AND you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date AND you elected MGIB by 10/9/97
Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months Served at least 1 day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88 On active duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91, OR entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89 AND you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96, and through 7/8/97
Continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you entered the Selected Reserve within leaving active duty and served 4 years On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam-Era GI Bill OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93, Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1200 lump-sum contribution
    Or voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program  
    Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1200  


Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA): Chapter 35 ~ Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of educational benefits. Qualification for DEA benefits are as follows:

A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.


Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve: Chapter 1606 ~ The Montgomery GI Bill- Selected Reserve program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve include the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation. For some types of training, it is necessary to have a six-year commitment that begins after September 30,1990;
Complete your initial active duty for training (IADT);
Meet the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT. You may not use 12 hours toward a college degree to meet this requirement;
Remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.


Reserve Educational Assistance Program ~ Chapter 1607

When you are submitting your VOAPP you will then indicate what program you are applying for. Once the main office, in Muskogee, processes your initial application they will mail you an eligibility letter, this letter will tell you how much and how many months of benefits you have. We will need a copy of the following: Eligibility Letter, the DD-214 Member IV, Class Schedule, and Program Evaluation/ Degree Checklist to certify you. When we certify your application, we are simply letting the VA know that you are enrolled in classes and you are going towards a degree/certificate seeking program. At San Juan College your Veterans' Affairs Representatives are available to you if you should need additional information.

Veterans Educational Benefits

Apply Now!


Vietnam Veterans’ Scholarship

The Vietnam Veterans' Scholarship Program was created to provide aid for Vietnam veterans who are undergraduate and graduate students attending public post-secondary institutions or select private colleges in New Mexico:  St. John's College and University of the Southwest.

Awards cover tuition, required fees and books. Funding is renewable upon satisfactory progress.

The eligibility requirements are the following:

  • Honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States
  • Resident of New Mexico at original time of entry into the armed forces or who has lived in New Mexico for ten years or more
  • Has been awarded a Vietnam campaign medal for services in Vietnam during the period of August 5, 1964 to the official termination of the Vietnam conflict
  • Undergraduate or graduate

On our website we refer students to contact the New Mexico Veterans' Service Commission at 1-505-827-6300 or the Financial Aid Office at any New Mexico public or eligible private institution.