HOURS / WEEK: 40
DAYS OF WEEK: Monday - Friday
POSITION DESCRIPTION AND QUALIFICATIONS
Conducts face-to-face solicitations, involving Club executives and key volunteers, as appropriate. Directs the identification, research, cultivation and solicitation of financial gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations. Prepares correspondence, proposals, and reports. Insures the accuracy and maintenance of donor information and manages donor communications.
Identifies and creates opportunities to build public awareness of Club services, programs and activities. Creates or adapts messages and vehicles for promoting upcoming events or programs to the public and members, including newsletters, public service announcements, and flyers, etc. Evaluates success of strategy, materials and media and modifies as necessary. Works closely with the board marketing committee as well as the program and management staff.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
1. Contribute to the development of overall development goals and strategies and manage the implementation of all activities relating to gifts campaigns.
2. Develop and implement marketing and public relations strategies designed to build appreciation and support of Club programs, services and activities, and to increase participation by youth in the community.
1. Research and identify individual and corporate prospects for gift solicitation.
2. Oversee preparation of background reports on donor giving and interests and develop proposals for donor consideration.
3. Evaluate giving trends of individual donors and determine those with potential for upgrading to high levels.
4. Evaluate results of key strategies and recommend modifications or new approaches to support successful achievement of development goals.
5. Contribute to the planning and implementation of the strategic plan regarding activities relating to donor solicitations and other club fundraising and marketing.
6. Evaluate overall results of events and recommend modifications or new approaches to support successful achievement of special events goals.
1. Cultivate donor prospects, develop proposals and conduct solicitation of individual donors.
2. Collaborate with the CPO and key volunteers to engage them in donor solicitations, based on donor interests, personal relationships, program expertise or other criteria.
1. Develop timely budget recommendations for development functions and control fund raising expenses within budget amounts.
2. Manage record keeping for donor gifts, assuring effective administrative and operations support functions are in place.
3. Train Club staff, executives, board members and volunteers in solicitation techniques and involve them in development activities.
1. Develop strategic alliances with community leaders, donors, and prospects.
2. Develop strategic alliances with donors, prospects, attorneys, financial advisors, accountants and other with an interest in planned giving opportunities.
Marketing and Public Relations
1. Increase visibility of Club programs, services, and activities and maintain good public relations with donors and prospects.
2. Oversee all communication aspects of the Club to include media relations and marketing/PR.
3. Communicate information on Boys & Girls Club charitable gifts planning program to professional financial advisors, including attorneys, accountants, bank trust officers, certified financial planners and certified life underwriters.
4. Develop or adapt planned giving materials to support solicitations and increase understanding of planned gifts.
Internal: Maintain oral and written contact with the chief professional officer, board of directors, staff peers, and volunteers to provide direction and technical advice. Recruit and cultivate volunteers through involvement in meetings and seminars.
External: Maintain relationships with potential and current donors, corporate and businesses partners, public relations and marketing professionals and community groups. Develop contacts with estate planning counsel, financial planners, insurance agents, accountants and law firms to maintain current knowledge in field and to discuss donor interests and appropriate giving methods.
Contribute to attaining financial support:
Work with Club management and board to solicit corporations, individuals and civic groups for donations and other support.
Oversee direct mail campaign.
Oversee It Just Takes One Campaign.
Supervise special fundraising events.
Manage systems to:
Track fundraising income; compile status reports and variance reports.
Manage and coordinate the recognition of contributions. Manage record keeping for special event donors, assuring effective administrative and operational support functions are in place.
Manage systems to ensure appropriate stewardship activities occur year-round.
Control fund raising expenses within budget.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required
Minimum of 3 years professional fundraising experience with resource and business development experience in areas of donor relations, face-to-face gift solicitations, capital and major gift campaigns.
A proven track record of accomplishment in managing a complex fundraising program in a sophisticated organization with a reputation for quality and excellence.
Public relations and marketing expertise.
Demonstrated experience in managing people and budgets and control fundraising expenses.
Excellent management and supervisory skills and the ability to create and be part of a team.
Strong oral and written communication skills, both verbal and written.
Budgeting and computer skills, including knowledge of database operations and spreadsheet software. Knowledge of Donor Perfect is highly desirable.
Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with all types of people.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Club staff, board members, volunteers, community groups, and other related agencies.