College Placement Assessment (Accuplacer)
To run through a few Sample Questions Click Here
Additional information and online study sites may be found at the bottom of this page.
The Accuplacer is a Computerized Placement Tool designed to provide placement and advising information for students entering college. San Juan College uses the Accuplacer to help students get into the classes where they are most likely to succeed. In other words, the Accuplacer determines the course placement where you will begin taking classes. A counselor/advisor will go over your scores with you after you complete the assessment and help you create a degree plan and get ready to register for classes.
Remember: Your scores determine which classes you may take.
If you need special accommodations to take the Accuplacer, please contact the Advising and Counseling office at 566-3404 to make arrangements.
The Accuplacer takes approximately one and one-half hours to complete, however, the assessments are not timed and you may take as long as you need.
Who needs to take the Accuplacer assessment?
The Accuplacer is required for placement in all courses requiring reading, math, or English placement if placement is not met with previous coursework. Please see page 22 of the 2014-2015 catalog for more information on using ACT scores for placement at San Juan College.
Where do I take the Accuplacer?
Starting July 7th, 2014 Accuplacer testing will be at the San Juan College Testing Center located in the Information Technology Center Room 7120D
To schedule an exam appointment and complete the preregistration, go to the Testing Center webpage (www.sanjuancollege.edu/test ). In the blue box, click on ACCUPLACER. Follow the step-by-step instructions. If you have any questions please contact the Testing Center at 505-566-3139.
What if I am a distance student?
Distance students are students who do not live in the geographical area of our San Juan County campuses. If you are a distance student in need of the Accuplacer, please visit our online student advising page for additional information. Online classes fill up early, so it is best to begin preparing for fall classes before the end of spring.
If you are faxing Accuplacer scores from another school, please ask your school to fax your scores to (505)566-4408.
What will I be assessed in? The Accuplacer has three parts:
- Reading Comprehension – multiple choice questions related to reading skills, such as identifying the main idea and making inferences.
- Sentence Skills (English) – multiple choice questions related to sentence structure and grammar…how sentences are put together and what makes a sentence complete.
- Mathematics (Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra) – multiple choice questions that measure your understanding of math. Questions that range from arithmetic to college-level mathematics are included. You will begin with the easiest section, and depending on your math skills you may advance to more challenging Algebra questions.
How can I best prepare for the Accuplacer?
There are several options available to help you prepare to do your best on the Accuplacer. You can begin by picking up an “Accuplacer Sample Questions” packet available in the Advising and Counseling, or you can look at our online version. Explore the resources below to brush up on your skills.
Can I retake the Accuplacer if I don’t like the scores I received?
Yes you may. A review of the subject area is strongly encouraged before you retake the Accuplacer. Students are allowed to challenge the Accuplacer one time only at no charge. Plus, a minimum two week waiting period is required for the first challenge test to be free. Students must pay a $15 fee to take additional challenge tests.
Your next steps:
1. Go to www.sanjuancollege.edu/test to schedule your testing
appointment and complete preregistration. In the blue box click Accuplacer
2. Go to www.sanjuancollege.edu/accuplacer to find sample questions
3. Contact the SJC Testing Center with any questions at 505-566-3139
4. Take the Accuplacer on your scheduled test day/time. The SJC Testing Center is located in the
Information Technology Center (Coppertop Building) Room 7120D