Any transfer student making application to San Juan College who intends to work toward a degree or certificate from San Juan College should apply for Regular Admission. All students receiving financial aid or veterans assistance must apply as Regular Admission students. The admission process is outlined below.

Regular Degree Admission - Transfer Students

  • Complete and return the application for admission (there is a $5 transaction fee for applying online, and a $10 fee is charged when applying by mail or in person). To apply online, click here. To download and print an application, click here.
  • Take the Accuplacer Exam.
    This test is given in our Advising and Counseling Office Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. You don't need to take this test if you have already completed college level English and Algebra.
  • Have official college transcripts sent directly to the Office of Admission.
    If you have less than 15 transferable hours, you will also need to have your high school or GED transcript sent to us. You are required to submit all college transcripts.
  • Attend a New Student Orientation
    You will be able to register for classes after attending the orientation session. You are exempt from this requirement if you have already completed an Associate degree or higher, or if you have already taken a first college English or Algebra course.

Send information to:
Office of Admission
San Juan College
4601 College Blvd
Farmington, NM 87402
505 566-3545

Transfer of Credit to SJC
San Juan College generally accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities provided a grade of "C" or better has been earned, and an equivalent course is offered by San Juan College. No Special Topic classes will be accepted for transfer. Normally, San Juan College does not recognize credit from proprietary institutions or for life experiences except as applicable towards the Associate of General Studies degree. Only acceptable credit that can be used toward the student's declared degree/major will be posted to the student's San Juan College transcript. Contact the Director of Admissions regarding questions about the transfer of previous academic course work.

Once all the transcripts are received, a transfer evaluation will be done. The credits are evaluated for transfer on the basis of the major selected.  A copy of the evaluation is also sent to you.

No official transcript evaluations or posting of transfer credit to the student's academic record will be done until after the student has enrolled at San Juan College and the official Census Day has passed. If the student has attended San Juan College and transferred to another college, NO transfer credit will be posted to their San Juan College academic record until the student re-enrolls at San Juan College and the appropriate date requirements outlined have been met. It is the responsibility of the student to provide course descriptions from previous coursework taken when necessary.

Transcripts received for non-degree seeking students will be kept for two semesters. Any transfer student who changes majors after their initial enrollment at San Juan College needs to request a re-evaluation of their transfer transcripts. Re-evaluation is not automatic. If the student does not change status within this period of time, the transcripts will be destroyed.

For questions concerning credits being transferred in to SJC, please call


Transfer of Credit from SJC
The State of New Mexico has implemented a "General Education Core Component" of 35 credit hours of coursework that is transferable and must be accepted by all public colleges within the state. These courses are listed in the SJC catalog as the general requirements for the Associate of Arts degree. The Associate of Science degree is also transferable. The course requirements for these programs are listed in the catalog.

General education courses from accredited colleges generally transfer to San Juan College, as long as a grade of “C” or higher is earned and the course is comparable in content and credit hours to one offered at SJC. Vo-tech courses do not automatically transfer, but may be considered for transfer credit by contacting the appropriate department at SJC and requesting a credit review of the vo-tech credit. Please note: any vo-tech credit that is awarded is for a specific program of study and would not automatically satisfy other degree requirements.


Transferring Courses to Fulfill the New Mexico General Education Common Core
Referred to as New Mexico Common Course Numbers

General Overview

Students who have decided on a major and/or an institution at which to complete their studies should consult with an academic advisor at that particular institution to determine the most appropriate course selections.  Students enrolling for the first-year of study at a New Mexico college or university and considering possible transfer into a certificate and/or degree program at another institution are encouraged to take the courses approved for transfer during their freshman and sophomore year of study.

The core matrix of approved courses guaranteed to transfer and meet general education requirements of any New Mexico college or university can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department website at  Click on the “Colleges and Universities” link, then “Transferring Credits” for a listing of courses by institution, under each of the five general education areas. 

Common Course Number Examples
The New Mexico Common Course Number has an alpha prefix that identifies readily to the subject area.  The four digits in the number represent the specific course in that subject area with each digit having significance as demonstrated below:

EX # 1: BIOL 1114
BIOL is the four character academic prefix for biology
The first one represents the course level:  Freshman = 1, Sophomore = 2
The second pair or middle pair of numbers (11) represents the course sequence
The last digit (4) represents the number of credits, in this case four credits

EX #2: ENGL 1123

ENGL is the four character academic prefix for English
The first one represents the course level:  Freshman = 1, Sophomore = 2
The second or middle pair of numbers (12) represents the course sequence
The last digit (3) represents the number of credits, in this case three credits

San Juan College Common Course Listing
Click on this link for a listing of courses from San Juan College that are part of the “common course core” classes, with the associated New Mexico Common Course Number designation.

SJC Common Course Core

Transfer Credit Appeal Process

An applicant who wishes to appeal the transfer evaluation should follow the steps outlined below.


  1. File a written appeal with the Admissions & Records Office, providing information regarding the course(s) being appealed.  A course description or other documentation about the content of the course being appealed should be attached.


  1. Within 30 days of the written appeal, the file will be reviewed and the student will be contacted in writing about the decision.


  1. If the student request is denied, and the student wishes to continue the appeal, the student must indicate this in writing to the Vice President of Student Services.   The second appeal must be done within 30 days from the date of the first appeal decision letter.


  1. Within 30 days or less (when possible), The Vice President for Student Services will convene the Transfer Appeal Board (TAB).  The TAB will review all applicable materials and governing statutes and make a decision.  If the student wishes, a personal interview with the Transfer Appeal Board can be arranged, although it is not necessary.  The decision of the Board becomes final upon majority vote.


  1. The Transfer Appeal Board consists of:

Vice President for Student Services

Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Services

Academic Dean 

Advanced Placement and CLEP Credit

Students may be eligible for credit, based on Advanced Placement or the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) scores.

For consideration for Advanced Placement credit, you must have a minimum score of three or better and have official test scores submitted to the Admissions Office.CLEP credit is awarded to students who score at the required level. Official test results of this examination must also be sent to the Admissions Office.Credit based on CLEP and AP appears on your transcripts as credit, no grade is recorded for this type of credit. A total of 30 semester credits can be earned through examination.For test times and dates please contact the Testing Center at: 505-566-3452

Transfer of Occupational/Vocational Non-Credit Experience

Only credit earned in non-technical subjects is initially accepted from technical institutes which are accredited by a regional collegiate accrediting association. Generally, no credit is accepted by San Juan College from technical institutes, business schools, or other post-high school institutes which are not members of regional collegiate accrediting associations. However, students applying to the College who have earned technical credit which they believe would be applicable to the degree they are pursuing may have an official transcript sent from the school directly to San Juan College, Office of Admissions and Records. It will then be the student's responsibility to request referral of this transcript by the Admissions Office to the division of San Juan College having supervision of his/her particular program. The division will determine whether any of the credit is acceptable in its program and return the transcript with its recommendations to the Office of Admissions. An interview or demonstration of competence of such credit would be binding only to the specific program recommending credit.

Transfer Guides


New Mexico State University:


University of New Mexico:


Fort Lewis: