Off Campus Clinical Instruction (OCCI) Requirements
(Links to all required forms and contact information are located at the bottom of this page)
Off-Campus Clinical Instruction
Companion Animal OCCI Requirements
All students are required to have an approved Companion Animal (small animal) OCCI site and approved preceptor prior to registering for upper tier courses (tiers 2-4).
To be an approved OCCI site, veterinary care facilities and preceptors must meet certain minimum criterion that is set by the AVMA accreditation body. These standards must be maintained to ensure that students in the VTDLP receive a quality education that stresses acceptable medical standards. Each OCCI site and preceptor must make formal application and agree to follow these standards in order to be approved. All paperwork should be received at least 30 days prior to the first day of class to ensure adequate processing time (see academic calendar for exact dates) of the semester in which the student enters Tier II courses. All paperwork and facilities must be approved prior to registering for upper tier courses.
Click here to view a short
presentation regarding the
Fast Track Lab Option
Food and Farm Animal OCCI Requirements
In addition to the companion animal OCCI requirements, tier 4 students are also required to complete clinical tasks on food and farm animals. Students have two options for completing this portion of their clinical requirements.
Click here to view a short presentation regarding the Fast Track Lab option
- The student may request that a local large animal facility be approval as an OCCI site. Students in large animal OCCI facilities will be required to perform general equine anesthesia, including the induction of anesthesia, monitoring of the patient, and the successful recovery from anesthesia using either injectable or inhalant anesthesia. The facility must submit an OCCI Site Agreement and submit photos of all of the required on site large animal equipment. The student will be required to do an additional video when taking VETT 233 to meet the course requirements.
- The Student may attend a Fast Track Lab which will provide the student with the required large animal clinical experience, as well as the required laboratory animal tasks. No video is required for this option.
OCCI Site Agreement
This form must be completed and submitted by the person who is applying to be the primary preceptor for the facility.
Please note that a preceptor must be a doctor of veterinary medicine (licensed DVM or VMD) or a credentialed veterinary technician (RVT, LVT, CVT or a graduate of an AVMA approved veterinary technology program). Furthermore, all veterinary technician applicants will be required to submit a copy of their current state licensure or proof of graduation from an approved veterinary technology program.
Additional Preceptor Application
In addition to the primary preceptor, the facility may apply to have additional preceptors approved. Provided the preceptors satisfy the requirements listed above for primary preceptors, there are no limits to the number of applicants that can be approved.
Health Risk and Liability Acknowledgement
The Health Risk and Liability Acknowledgement must be on file for each student prior to registering for upper tier courses. The form must be signed in front of a notary public and must have a visible seal or notary stamp for it to be accepted. The student need only complete this form one time. You may mail, fax, or email this form to us using the contact information below.
Optional FERPA form
Students wishing to grant permission to San Juan College veterinary technology staff and faculty to discuss or give access to their educational records (including grades, course progress, etc.) to any person other than themselves (preceptors, family, etc), must complete and return this form to the program office.
Below are the links to the required forms:
OCCI Site Agreement Forms (Complete the OCCI Site Agreement from one of the three approval types below)
These forms have recently been updated to open directly in your browser. They must be completed and submitted online. Once you begin, you must complete and submit the entire form before exiting. If you should need to take a break while completing the form, it is suggested that you keep the page open until you return. Failure to do so will require that you begin again from the beginning. For additional instructions in completing the forms click here.
- OCCI Site Agreement Companion Animal Facility Only (most common type - click here for sample form)
- OCCI Site Agreement Companion and Food/Farm Animal Facility (please read information regarding food/farm animal OCCI requirements above before selecting this category - click here for sample form)
- OCCI Site Agreement Food/Farm Animal Facility Only (please read information regarding food/farm animal OCCI requirements above before selecting this category - click here for sample form)
Additional OCCI Forms To be Submitted
Additional Preceptor Application (must be completed by each additional preceptor)
Health Risk and Liability Acknowledgement (Must be completed by student and notarized)
FERPA form (Optional form to be completed by student)
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR OCCI SUBMISSION
PHONE: 505-566-3843 (Pat Roach) or 505-566-4047 (Cindy Painter)
San Juan College VTDLP
Pat Roach, Rm 1113
Farmington, NM 87402
For more information, please call Sherry Hair, Program Advisor at (888) 313-3838.
Or send us an email at email@example.com.