Student Ambassador Position Description
The Student Ambassador program is an elite group of students who gain valuable work experience. There are only twelve positions available. Student Ambassadors are current students selected on the basis of leadership, scholarship, professionalism and desire to promote Student Activities events and programs. Ambassadors uphold the philosophy, mission and goals of San Juan College by personal example and by serving as hosts and hostesses for San Juan College.
Student Ambassador Qualifications
- Must be enrolled in 8 or more credit hours per semester and stay enrolled throughout the semester
- Must have and maintain 2.5 GPA or higher
- Have at least 1 semester to contribute to program (preferably 2)
- Practice and uphold professionalism including responsibility, dependability and punctuality
- Sincere desire to represent SJC and Student Activities as a Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador Responsibilities
- Work mandatory events each semester + smaller events and office hours to reach a total of 65+ hours a semester
- Attend 3-day overnight retreat in August before the start of the Fall semester
- Attend weekly meetings (no more than 1 hour per meeting)
- Must contribute 2 office hours a week
- Must represent San Juan College with professionalism at all times
- Mandatory events include: Fall 2015- Student Rush: Tuesday & Wednesday, September 1-2, 2015; Halloween Carnival: Saturday, October 24, 2015; Luminaria Display: Saturday, December 5, 2015 Spring 2016- SJC Pow Wow: Friday & Saturday, April 8-9, 2016; SJC Graduation: Saturday, May 14th, 2016
Student Ambassador Incentives
- Campus Recognition
- Leadership Training and Completion Certificate
- Lots of experience for resume and opportunity for letters of recommendation
- Exposure to various campus involvement opportunities and skill seminar
- Establish professional and personal contacts
- Meet new people
- Nominations onto Campus Committees
- Great segue into student government involvement opportunities
- Nomination into National Society of Leadership and Success
- Access to the Student Activities Student Leadership space (open computers and printers, microwave, refrigerator, etc.)
- Be a part of fun and exciting events on campus
- Stipend of $500 per semester
- Only twelve (12) position available
- Ambassadors are required to work at least 65 hours per semester
- All responsibilities are required, as stated above, to receive stipend and other program incentives
- Ambassadors are responsible for notifying Student Activities staff if they are unable to make their scheduled event (within 24-hours of event start-time). If missing an event, Ambassador must makeup missed event with an equivalent event that semester.
- Two (2) unexcused absence from assigned event or weekly meeting will result in your termination from the Student Ambassador program.
- Sincere desire to represent Student Activities events and San Juan College
- Comfortable in large groups
- Ability to work well with others
- Responsibility, dependability, and accountability
- Desire to learn and develop skill sets described above
- Fill out and return the application to Student Activities Office, 6107, in the Learning Commons.
- Schedule interview with Student Activities staff member.
- Reference check by Student Activities Personnel.
- Chosen applicants will receive notice by phone.