Campus Safety Tips
Although the crime rate at San Juan College is very low, you should still be alert and use common sense to protect yourself and others from becoming victims of crime. When you go out, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Take the safest route to and from campus, not the fastest route.
- Travel in groups of two or more at night, and always walk in well-lit, heavily traveled areas. If you do not have someone to walk with you, please contact the Public Safety Department for an escort by calling (505) 566-3333 or 3333 from any campus phone.
- Stay on the part of the sidewalk that is farthest away from shrubs, dark doorways, and alleys.
- Share your class schedule only with those who need to know it (family, close friends, etc.)
- Never share your schedule with anyone you do not know.
- When you go out, let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back.
- Wherever you are, stay alert to your surroundings and the actions of people around you.
- Follow your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, change directions, go to an emergency phone or public building and call the Public Safety Department.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended, even for a few minutes.
- Avoid displaying large amounts of cash or other tempting targets such as jewelry or expensive equipment.
- Always lock your car and keep valuables out of sight. Check the back seat before getting in.
- Park in well-lit, well-traveled areas of the parking lot.