Contract Signature Authority
The president is the primary signature authority for San Juan College; therefore all contracts (agreements, memo's of understanding, joint powers of agreement, etc.) that bind San Juan College require the president’s (or a designated appointee’s) signature. However, for student clinical or practicum experience agreements only, the president appointed the deans of the Schools of Health Sciences and Trades and Technology, to sign on her behalf. These are the only signatory exceptions. All other contracts that bind the college must be signed by the president.
All contracts must be reviewed and approved by Risk Management and any other departments that may be impacted such as Physical Plant, Office for Technology Services, Restricted Funds, etc. prior to the final college signature. Please be prepared that this process can take time. so plan appropriately and allow a minimum of four days for Risk Management to review the contract, obtain official college signature(s), and return the final signed contract to the originating department.
Prior to submitting the contract to Risk Management for final official college signature, follow these steps
- Obtain two originals of the contract. If two originals were not provided, please make a copy and treat the copy as a second original.
- Complete and print the appropriate Contract Completion Checklist from the Forms Library. Please note that there are two different checklists; one for student clinical or practicum experience agreements and the other for all other contracts. Only one Contract Completion Checklist form is required for the set of two original contracts.
- Have the college employee identified as the contract project manager/program director (responsible for ensuring that the college meets all contractual obligations) initial all boxes on the checklist indicating the contract is prepared for official college signature. Incomplete contracts will be returned.
- Two originals
- San Juan College, and not the individual school or department, is identified as the contracting entity. The school or department may be referenced in subsequent sections
- All blanks are completed (filled in) including start dates, department information, and signer information (name and title.) If needed, please add the information by hand.
- All signature lines are flagged for the signer and any areas requiring a notary are also flagged.
- Obtain all required and conditional approvals indicated on the coversheet including:
- OTS - all contracts related to, or requiring, computer hardware or software (web-based systems included), telephone hardware or services or other technology.
- Physical Plant - all contracts related to, or requiring, infrastructure needs such as plumbing or electrical modifications, large equipment installation, building enhancements, etc.
- Business Office Restricted Funds and/or Grants Development Office - all contracts related to the use or acquisition of restricted (grant) funds.
- Contract Project Manager/Program Director
- Submit one coversheet and two originals to Risk Management in the Business Office for review and final college signature.
- Once officially signed, Risk Management either
- Maintains one fully-executed contract for the college's records and returns the second original to the originating department to return to the contracting agency
- Returns both originals to the originating department to obtain the contracting agency's signature. The department must follow-up and submit one original fully-executed contract to Risk Management for the college's records.
Please contact Risk Management for assistance.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm