Contract, Agreement, MOA, MOU, ETC. Signature Authority
The president is the primary signature authority for San Juan College; therefore all contracts (agreements, memo's of understanding, joint powers of agreement, etc.) that bind San Juan College require the president’s (or a designated appointee’s) signature.
The President appointed the Deans (or a designated appointee) of the Schools of Health Sciences and Trades & Technology to sign student clinical or practicum experience agreements on her behalf. These are the only signatory exceptions. All other contracts that bind the college must be signed by the president.
All contracts must be reviewed by any college departments that may be impacted such as Physical Plant, Office for Technology Services, Restricted Funds (grants), Purchasing (services/labor expenses), etc.
Upon review and conditional approvals, submit the contract packages to Risk Management in the Business Office. Please plan accordingly and allow a minimum of four business days for Risk Management to review, obtain official signatures (presidential or dean), and return the final signed contracts to the originating departmenst.
Most of the time, the contracting parties (agency, business, school district, etc.) have preferred contract formats and, generally, these formats are acceptable. If unsure, please email copies or drafts to Risk Management for a preliminary reviews. The College can not accept additional insure, indemnification or hold harmless language and this language is normally cross out by Risk Management during reviews.
If the contracting parties do not have preferred contract formats, please contact Risk Management for the College's format.
Prior to submitting contracts to Risk Management for final official college signature, follow these steps
- Obtain at least two originals of the entire contract. If two originals were not provided, please make a copy and treat the copy as a second original. Risk Management always retains one original for the college's official files and the second original is returned to the contracting agency/clinical facility. If needed, please submit additional originals (for departmental files, etc.)
- Complete and print the appropriate Contract Completion Checklist from the Forms Library. Please note that there are two different checklists; one for student clinical or practicum experience agreements and the other for all other contracts. Only one Contract Completion Checklist form is required for the set of two original contracts.
- The contract project manager/program director (responsible for ensuring that the college meets all contractual obligations) initials all boxes on the checklist indicating the contract is prepared for official college signature.
Incomplete contracts will be returned.
- Minimum of two originals of the entire contract in page order.
- San Juan College, and not the individual school or department, is identified as the contracting entity. The school or department may be referenced in subsequent sections.
- All blanks are completed (filled in) including start dates, department information, and signer information (name and title.) If needed, please add the information by hand.
- All signature lines/pages within the contract are flagged for the signer.
- All areas requiring a notary are also flagged.
- Obtain all required and conditional approvals, as appropriate to the contract content
Contracts without proper conditional approvals and signatures will be returned.
- OTS - all contracts related to, or requiring, computer hardware or software (web-based systems included), telephone hardware or services or other technology.
- Physical Plant - all contracts related to, or requiring, infrastructure needs such as plumbing or electrical modifications, large equipment installation, building enhancements, etc.
- Business Office Restricted Funds and/or Grants Development Office - all contracts related to the use or acquisition of restricted (grant) funds.
- Purchasing - all contracts that include service (labor).
- Contract Project Manager/Program Director
- Submit one coversheet and minimum of two complete originals to Risk Management in the Business Office for review and final college signature.
- Once officially signed, Risk Management either
- Retains one fully-executed original for the college's records and returns the second original to the originating department to return to the contracting agency
- Returns both originals to the originating department to obtain the contracting agency's signature. The department must follow-up and submit one original fully-executed contract to Risk Management for the college's records.
Please contact Risk Management for assistance.
|Shelley R. Pickett
Educational Services Building
Educational Services Building
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm