Steps to Apply for Financial Aid at San Juan College
Apply Early! Apply Now!
Receiving a final award package can take between 2-6 weeks. Loans sometimes longer. It is very important to apply for financial aid as soon as possible.
If your aid is not in place (i.e. awards are assigned and in accepted status) you may be dropped from classes. Simply completing or "filing" a financial aid application application will NOT hold you in class. All steps must be complete, including verification and loan approvals.
Financial aid can be used to reimburse you but it is your responsibility to ensure tuition and books are paid.
Step 1: Collect necessary documents needed to complete the FAFSA [www.fafsa.gov]
Step 2: The FSA ID - a username and password- has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one when logging in to [www.studentaid.ed.gov]. You can use your FSA ID to sign a FAFSA right away.
Step 3: Complete your FAFSA [www.fafsa.gov]
- When and if directed, use the IRS Data Retrieval System (click here to see a tutorial) to answer financial questions. This will improve accuracy and save time.
- When asked for the college you will be attending, use San Juan College School Code: 002660
- Be sure the online FAFSA is signed by using the PIN codes
- Be sure to print or save your submission confirmation number
Step 4: Receive Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Student receives the SAR through either email or regular mail
- School receives an electronic copy in about 7-10 business days
Step 5: Award determination and award letters. Once the SAR is received the following steps take place, depending if the student is or is not selected for the verification process.