Steps to Apply for Financial Aid at San Juan College
Apply Early! Apply Now!
Receiving a final award package can take between 2-6 weeks. Loans sometimes longer. It is very important to apply for financial aid as soon as possible.
If your aid is not in place (i.e. awards are assigned and in accepted status) you may be dropped from classes. Simply completing or "filing" a financial aid application application will NOT hold you in class. All steps must be complete, including verification and loan approvals.
Financial aid can be used to reimburse you but it is your responsibility to ensure tuition and books are paid.
Step 1: Collect necessary documents needed to complete the FAFSA [www.fafsa.gov]
Step 2: Sign up for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) [www.pin.ed.gov]
- Students will need a PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA
- Parents will need a PIN if parents' information was needed to complete the FAFSA
Step 3: Complete your FAFSA [www.fafsa.gov]
- When and if directed, use the IRS Data Retrieval System to answer financial questions. This will improve accuracy and save time.
- When asked for the college you will be attending, use San Juan College School Code: 002660
- Be sure the online FAFSA is signed by using the PIN codes
- Be sure to print or save your submission confirmation number
Step 4: Receive Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Student receives the SAR through either email or regular mail
- School receives an electronic copy in about 7-10 business days
Step 5: Award determination and award letters. Once the SAR is received the following steps take place, depending if the student is or is not selected for the verification process.