HOURS / WEEK: 35 - 38
DAYS OF WEEK: Mon - Fri
SALARY RANGE: $10 - $12 / hr
POSITION DESCRIPTION AND QUALIFICATIONS
Directs, manages and maintains all sport and recreation programs and activities for the Boys & girls Club of Bloomfield. Provides all youth and their families with equal opportunities to participate, excel, and enhance fitness lifestyles through fun and positive interaction in a non-discriminatory, safe environment. To teach basic skills and sportsmanship to all youth and families involved in Club programs and activities.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
1. Establish and evaluate sport and recreation programs, activities and services that prepare youth for success and that create a club environment that facilitates achievement of Youth Development Outcomes.
2. Ensure a healthy, safe and interactive environment, ensuring facilities, equipment and supplies are adequately used and maintained.
3. Recruit, train and retain volunteer coaches. Supervise sports and recreation program staff (scorekeepers, concession staff, officials, etc.).
4. Initial contact point for program assistants, volunteers and parents regarding sports and recreation.
5. Plan, develop, implement and evaluate overall programs, services and activities to ensure they meet stated objectives and member needs and interests. Compile regular reports reflecting all activities, attendance and participation.
6. Organize and conduct all sport and recreation programs. Organize teams, schedule and attend all games and special events associated with sports and recreation.
7. Assist Unit Director in organizing and implementing tournaments, special fitness and activity programs for the afterschool and summer programs (sport camps, games room tournaments, Jr. Olympics, etc.)
8. Inventory and purchase equipment under supervision.
9. Ensure administrative and operational systems are in place to maintain the operation of the physical properties and equipment of the Club, including use of facilities by outside groups, and the club’s use of facilities owned/ operated by outside groups/ organizations (area school gyms/ facilities).
10. Recruit, manage and provide career development opportunities for sports and recreation staff and volunteers. Attend and participate in regular staff meetings.
11. Meet with the CPO weekly, providing detailed reports and evaluations of programs, youth and program assistants.
12. Develop partnerships with parents, community leaders, local businesses, schools and other organizations.
13. Work with other local agencies that provide sports and recreation programs for youth in our area.
Marketing and Public Relations
14. Develop and maintain public relations to increase the visibility of programs, services and activities within the Club and the community.
15. Write a monthly article/ success story for club publications and/ or publicity within the community.
16. Help prepare and distribute club newsletters to families, community representatives and donors.
17. Develop a yearly calendar of program and activities.
18. Collaborate with other persons and entities to offer youth sports opportunities not currently offered by the Club.
1. Determine the need for purchase of supplies and equipment as related to sports and recreation.
2. Work with staff on special events to carry out programs in all departments.
3. Exercise authority in problems relating to members and program assistants; utilize guidance and discipline plan. Problem solve and conflict resolution with coaches, parents, youth and
4. Ensure compliance with organization policies and procedures.
5. Recruit and retain members for designated clubhouse and sports and recreation programs and activities.
6. Develop, implement and maintain an information system for administrative duties related to job responsibilities (database for coaches, volunteers, youth athletes, officials; a filling system, historical record keeping, etc). Input and maintain data for membership tracking software and grant requirements.
7. Assist CPO and other staff with Club special events and fundraisers.
8. Assume other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with Club staff to interpret and explain organizational mission, program objectives and standards, discuss issues, and provide/receive information. Has daily contact with members, coaches and parents as needed to lead, discipline, advise, and counsel.
External: Maintains contact with external community groups, schools, members' parents and others to assist in resolving problems and to publicize Club.
_ A minimum of two years work in a similar organization planning and supervising activities based on the developmental needs of young people, or equivalent experience.
_ Demonstrated ability in personnel supervision, facilities management, and the recruitment
and retention of youth and key personnel.
_ Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
_ Ability to recruit, train, supervise, and motivate staff.
_ Ability to deal effectively with members and parents including discipline problems.
_ Demonstrated ability in working with young people, parents and community leaders.
_ Must have a valid NM Driver’s License.
_ Must be insurable under Club policy
_ Must pass drug and background screenings.
_ Must have OR acquire within 1 month of employment CPR/ First Aid certifications.
_ Must be able to attend ALL special events, fundraisers and games/ sporting events for designated clubhouse.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Must be able to bend and stoop. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this position. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.