Resources and Referrals

Child Care Referrals

Families looking for child care can find help through the Child Care Referral Service. The goal is to assist families in identifying quality child care and child care options. Families are encouraged to act on their own knowledge and feelings as they select among the possibilities.

The Family Resource Center maintains a database of providers who work in licensed centers, registered or licensed homes and registered homes. After learning pertinent information, the staff can assist families by providing available referrals that most closely fit the needs of the family. Guides and checklists with questions to ask and things to look for are provided to assist parents as they visit centers or homes.

Parent and consumer education is done on a one-to-one basis. Additional information about parenting issues, child care, etc., is available through brochures, books and videos at the Family Resource Center.

The referral service is offered at no charge to families seeking care for their children or to child care providers who are listed on the data base.

Toy Lending Library

Toys are children's tools for learning, so play is an essential part of their growth and development. Staff is available to help families, child care providers and educators access educational and developmentally appropriate toys and books to use with children. A variety of toys, books and family games is available for infants, toddlers, preschoolers and school age children.

Parents and child care providers may check out any of the more than 1200 resource books. Resource books for parents include titles such as Toilet Training Without Tears, Games to Play with Babies, Positive Discipline A to Z, Fathers and Babies and What Your Parents Never Told You about Being a Mom or Dad.

Books for child care providers include topics such as family day care activities, learning centers, quiet times and teaching props.

Forms Required to get a Toy Lending Library Card

Requirements for use of Toy Lending Library

  • Completed use agreement, application
  • Valid New Mexico identification with photo
  • Proof of residency (utility bill, rental receipt)

For more information