How are We Doing?

Frequently Asked Questions

Property, Auto, and Other Insurance

The coordinator is responsbile for insurance activities on behalf of the college with the exception of employee-related healthcare and workers' compensation insurance which is managed by the Human Resources. The college, as a state agency, is prohibited from extending free public liability fund coverage to private third party contractors because of the "Anti-Donation Clause" contained in the New Mexico Constitution (Article IV, Section 14), therefore the college cannot additional insure or indemnify any third party.

The college's insurance coverage includes the following: General Liability, Auto (liability and physical damage) Property, Medical Malpractice, Boiler & Machinery, Fine Arts, Worker's Compensation, Unemployment, Civil Rights, Crime, and Blanket Property.

The college's certificates of coverage provide property and liability coverage to the extent required by the New Mexico Tort Claims Act (NMSA 1978, § 41-4-1 et seq.). Contact our office for copies of certificates of coverage.

General Liability

The college's insurance policy may provide coverage to protect the college and its employees from claims of negligence.  Specifically, this coverage is for third-party bodily injury or property damage caused by, or arising out of, the college's operations.  If a third party (such as a student) is injured (or reports) a personal injury or property damage, please follow these steps:

  • Do not tell the third party that the college will reimburse them for medical expenses or property damage repairs.  The New Mexico Tort Claims Act requires that negligence on the part of the college is investigated and decided by the college's insurance carrier. 
  • If an accident occurs, offer assistance such as calling 911, if requested.  Do not transport any injured party.
  • Contact the Department of Public Safety to file an incident report (and police report if necesary.)  All reports are forwarded to the coordinator.
  • Notify the coordinator within 24 hours.
  • The coordinator will meet with the department contact to complete the insurance documentation and to notify the college's insurance carrier and continue as the college's point-of-contact for all parties.  

Auto (liability and physical damage)

Eligibility to operate a college vehicle is detailed in the Driver Eligibility sub menu option to the left of the page.  All drivers must comply with applicable laws and regulations concerning the operation of motor vehicles and the college reserves the right to refuse authorization to operate vehicles for college business.    The college's insurance covers all college-owned vehicles and rentals/leases; when renting a vehicle for college business, employees do not need to purchase any liability or physical damage coverage from the car rental agency if the trip is for official college business only.  When employees elect to drive private (personal) vehicles for college business, their personal automobile liability policies are provide primary coverage, including applicable deductibles, and the college's insurance will only provide secondary coverage, up to the Tort Claims Act limit.    Please note that many insurance policies exclude work related activities from coverage, employees should check with their insurance companies to confirm coverage.  If involved in an automobile accident while driving a college owned (or leased) vehicle, please follow these steps:

  • Do not admit fault.
  • Contact 911 and the Department of Public Safety.
  • Obtain the following:
    • Date, time, road, and weather conditions
    • Other Driver's Information:
      • Full name, address (street, city, state, zip), phone number (including area code), date of birth, driver's license number (and state), insurance company (policy number, agent, contact information), license plate number, make/model/year of vehicle, damage to vehicle, injury to driver (if any),
    • Witness/Passenger Information:
      • Full name, address (street, city, state, zip), phone number (including area code), injury to witness/ passenger (if any).
    • Investigating Officer's Information:
      • Full name, badge number, report number, phone number (including area code).
  • Notify the coordinator within 24 hours of the accident.

Property Coverage

The  policy is comprehensive in nature and specifically designed to cover college owned buildings, contents, and  miscellaenous items; it does not cover an employee's personal property.

Medical Malpractice

Includes health care liability to students currently enrolled in a health care instruction programs.

Boiler & Machinery Coverage

Coverage based on inventory, as reported annually to the college's insurance carrier, and requires inspections.

Fine Arts Coverage

Coverage based on inventory, as reported annually to the college's insurance carrier, covers paintings, etchings, drawings, rare books, manuscripts, rugs, tapestries, statuary, and on bona fide works of art, of rarity, historic value or artistic merit. 

Staff Listing 

Shelley R. Pickett Karen King
Coordinator Controller
Phone: 505.566.3454 Phone: 505.566.3408
Fax:     505.566.3355 Fax:     505.566.3355
Educational Services Building, Room 4144 Educational Services Building, Room 4146

Please note that to avoid delays and ensure proper processing, all documents should be date stamped.  The date stamp is located on a table, next to cashiers just inside the Business Office.


Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday

8:00am - 5:00p