Program Admission Requirements and Selection
Admission to the surgical technology program is selective. The following criteria are used in the selection process. Students must:
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have a college minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better.
- Complete the prerequisite courses of SURG 119, HITP 110, BIOL 224, BIOL 252, BIOL 253 and ENGL 111 with a minimum grade of C.
- Students are encouraged to finish as many of the General Education Requirements as possible before entering the major.
- Take the HOBET V Examination offered April 1st-June 30, 2014. HOBET V Examination Flyer REMOTE
- Submit a completed application by April 30. Applications are available from the ST Program Director or online.
Entrance into the ST Program is competitive and applicants are ranked based on GPA in prerequisite courses, HOBET V Examination, residency and completion of all AAS requirements as a bonus. In keeping with the Community Mission of San Juan College, those applicants that meet Residency and/or Special Residency Status will be given 5% preference in the application process.
In addition to the required coursework and application, those selected for the clinical are also required to have the following completed forms on file with the program director.
- Physician statement of general health
- Hepatitis B vaccination
- Acknowledgement of receipt of student handbook including technical standards
- Patient Confidentiality
- Dress Code Policy
How to Apply
- Before you apply, please make sure you meet all of the minimum eligibility requirements listed above and perform all non-academic requirements as listed on the Essential Functions Page. If at any time you have ANY questions regarding eligibility or the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Surgical Technology Program
4601 College Blvd
Farmington, NM 87402
- Apply to and be accepted to San Juan College.
- This is NOT the same as applying to and being accepted to the Surgical Technology Program.
- By applying to San Juan College, we can properly determine which of the prerequisite and general education courses you have taken will transfer.
- This is the first step, and without it we cannot determine the eligibility of courses which you have taken.
- To apply go to sanjuancollege.edu/pages/3590.asp.
- Send all official transcripts to San Juan College Admissions
- Note: this process may take 3-4 weeks. Please be sure to have your transcripts sent in WELL AHEAD of the application deadline!
- Complete all of your Prerequisite and General Education Courses.
- You may have courses "in progress" at the time you apply and report your "in-progress grades" on the application. ALL of the prerequisite courses MUST either be completed or in progress at the time of application.
- General Education Requirement
- Prerequisite Requirements
- Contact the SJC Surgical Technology Program to set up an appointment with our program advisor to conduct a review of your eligibility.
- Complete and submit an Application packet for the San Juan Surgical Technology Program. The application deadline is April 25, 2014.
APPLICATION Fillable Form
ST Student Handbook
The Surgical Technology Handbook will help you understand the role of a surgical technologist and help you understand the expectations of students in the program. Please review this important handbook before making your application to the program.
Surgical Technology Student Handbook
For more information, please call Maxine Chapman at (505) 566-3492.
Or send us an email at email@example.com.