Upon successful completion of the San Juan College Dental Hygiene Program the student will….
- Act as a health care professional in accordance with the professional code of ethics and appropriate laws and continuously perform self-assessment for life-long learning and professional growth.
- Provide dental hygiene care in accordance with the standard of care using critical thinking, problem solving and evidence-based decision making.
- Communicate effectively with individuals and groups from diverse populations.
- Provide accurate, consistent and complete documentation for assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation of dental hygiene services.
- Perform a comprehensive exam in order to collect, analyze, interpret and record diagnostic information on the health status of patients.
- Use assessment findings, etiologic factors, and clinical data to determine a dental hygiene diagnosis.
- Formulate a comprehensive dental hygiene care plan and obtain patient’s informed consent based on thorough case presentation.
- Provide individualized treatment designed to achieve and maintain oral health while controlling pain and anxiety during treatment through the use of accepted clinical and behavioral techniques.
- Provide life support measures to manage medical emergencies in the patient care environment.
- Evaluate effectiveness of the implemented clinical, preventive, and educational services and modify as needed.
Adapted from the SJC Dental Hygiene Programs full list of Core Competencies listed in the Programs Policies and Procedures Manual.
For more information, please call Dental Hygiene at (505) 566-3642.
Or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.