Getting Started Checklist
PDF version of Getting Started Checklist.
- Submit your Application for Admission to San Juan College: Application Fee - Online Application FREE (Apply online at: www.sanjuancollege.edu/apply) or Paper Application $10.00. This is a one-time non-refundable fee. There is a 5-7 business day processing time for your Application
- Get information on Financial Aid: To review eligibility requirements, get financial aid information and forms, or apply for financial aid, visit www.sanjuancollege.edu/financialaid, call 505-566-3512, or visit in person at the Financial Aid Office. Financial Aid processing time is 8 weeks.
- Request Official Transcripts: from your high school/GED and from all colleges you have attended be sent to the Enrollment Services Office (Admissions & Records Office).
After receiving your acceptance letter in the mail, do the following steps:
- Complete the Accuplacer: The Accuplacer tests you in Math, English and Reading to determine which level you need to begin in. Starting July 7th, 2014 Accuplacer testing will be at the San Juan College Testing Center located in the Information Technology Center Room 7120D
To schedule an exam appointment and complete the preregistration, go to the Testing Center webpage (www.sanjuancollege.edu/test ). In the blue box, click on ACCUPLACER. Follow the step-by-step instructions. If you have any questions please contact the Testing Center at 505-566-3139.
Transfer students who have completed a college level English and Math with a passing grade of “C” or better do not need to take the Accuplacer. (Must be verified through Official Transcripts) (Online Students refer to www.sanjuancollege.edu/pages/4809.asp)
- Attend a New Student Orientation: Attending Orientation is required for all new degree seeking students before you may register for classes. Sign up for a session at the Enrollment Services Office. Orientations are held in the Smart Lab. (NOTE: Online Students should contact their advisor about signing up for an online New Student Orientation.)
- SJC Username and Password: Username: first initial, middle initial, last name and the last 2 digits of your Social Security Number.(If you did not provide your middle initial on your application, your username will be your first initial, last name and last 2 digits of your SS Number) Password: sjcp then the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- MySJC Portal Logon: MySJC is the San Juan College portal that connects you to the SJC community, to your SJC email, to your documents, and access WebAdvisor (used to register). To enter the portal, go to mysjc.sanjuancollege.edu. From there, follow the instructions to log on.
- Setup Student Email: Students are responsible for activating their student email and for checking emails on a consistent basis. Your email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Your username is the username outlined for you above. You can log in at http://outlook.com/my.sanjuancollege.edu with your email address and the default password: Sjcp and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
Register for Courses:
- Register for your classes online at MySJC Portal. Registration dates are posted on the Academic Calendar.
- Pay your tuition: It is your responsibility to know the tuition deadlines. Please check the current schedule of courses for information concerning tuition dates and deadlines. Tuition can be paid by phone 505-566-3396, in person at the Business Office or online at webadvisor.sanjuancollege.edu
Before Attending Classes:
- Get your Student ID card at the Enrollment Services Office: Your first ID card is FREE. Replacement cards are $5.00. You will use your ID card at the campus Bookstore, Library, HHPC and to print from the campus computer labs. Note: Student ID cards are not available for Distance Learning students.
- Purchase textbooks: To find more information about purchasing your textbooks go to bookstore.sanjuancollege.edu
Other Helpful Tips:
- Print your Schedule: Make sure your class schedule reflects the correct day, time and campus location of your class(es). You can print a copy off of your MySJC Portal account.
- Find your classroom: Arrive early your first day to allow yourself time to find your class location.
- Online Classes are taught via Canvas
- Read the SJC Catalog: Know your rights and responsibilities as a SJC student and find information about programs, courses and policies. Available online at www.sanjuancollege.edu/catalog
Enrollment Services Office: 505-566-3545
Advising and Counseling Office: 505-566-3526
Business Office: 505-566-3396
Financial Aid Office: 505-566-3512
Computer Help Desk: 505-566-3266