Quick Links

College Road Trips
Reps on Campus
Transfer Timeline
Application Deadlines
Request SJC Transcripts


Central Classroom Complex
Room 1307

(505) 566-3983

Office Hours

Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM


how "TRANSFER" works

Which of your course credits will transfer?

Unit Requirement

The average bachelor's degree program requires that you complete 120-132 semester units. Those units are divided into lower division (freshman and sophomore) and upper division (junior and senior) coursework. You must complete at least 60 transferable units to reach junior standing (upper division status). Like other two-year colleges, SJC offers lower division courses comparable to the ones that freshman and sophomores must take at a university (thus, they are transferable). Two-year colleges do not typically offer upper division coursework, so you will transfer to a university to complete those units and graduate with a bachelor’s degree.

Subject Requirement

In addition to the unit requirement for your degree, there are subject-area requirements. Those requirements may be for general education or major preparation. If you complete all of your subject requirements and have not reached 60 units, you will take transferable elective courses to reach the 60 units before you can transfer.

General Education (GE)

General Education courses encompass a variety of disciplines, helping you develop a well-rounded education. Typically, many of your lower division courses will be for the purpose of general education. For example, you must complete at least 30 units of GE to graduate from a New Mexico public university. The GE requirements for independent and out-of-state universities may differ. Each institution has its own GE pattern that describes the number of units in each subject area that you must complete for graduation. You should contact an advisor at the institutions you’re interested in to find out if there are additional GE requirements that you must complete before transfer.

Major Preparation

Your bachelor’s degree will be granted in a specific discipline (your major). The university faculty that teaches in your major determines the unit and subject requirements for the degree. Among those requirements is the completion of lower division courses in your major. The courses you take depend upon your transfer major and university. Some majors require very little preparation; others require many courses. Some of the preparation for your major can also be used to meet GE requirements. It is important to choose a major early and find out about preparation that you will need to be admitted into your major. Some schools and/or majors require that students complete most, if not all, of their major preparation before transfer, especially if the school or major is designated as impacted.


An impacted major or program is one where more applications are received from eligible students during the initial filing period than the campus can enroll. These high-demand majors, universities or programs will have additional admission criteria above the minimum admissions standards.


Your overall academic performance, as measured by your grade point average (GPA), is another factor in being admitted to a university and earning your degree. There are minimum GPAs set for transfer students that vary by system, institution and or major. A higher minimum GPA is required for admission to impacted campuses or majors. It is important for you to find out how to do well in your classes in order to increase your transfer choices and chances.

For more information, please call The Transfer Center at 505-566-3983. Or send an email to transfer@sanjuancollege.edu.