Explore. Discover. Walk. Hike.
The Colorado Trail
The San Juan College Professional Staff Association and the HHPC would like to invite you to take part in our Walking/Hiking Challenge. The Walking/Hiking Challenge encourages San Juan College and everyone in our community to walk, explore and discover for themselves the trails and parks right here in our community.
Geared toward people of all ages, the San Juan College Walking/Hiking Challenge involves walking, and/or hiking at your own pace and within your own ability level. This fun and family-friendly challenge will begin on Thursday March 13 and end on May 8.
The challenge's main mission is "to encourage the community to get outside, get healthy and see what Farmington and the four corners has to offer," says J.D. Tanner, Director of the Health and Human Performance Center.
"This program is our way of giving everyone a nudge to get outside, be active, appreciate nature, save money (local trails and walking are free), stay local, and spend time with family or friends." Get out and experience this fun-filled and family- friendly challenge with a group of friends, or even individually for those who may be inclined. Walking is one of the easiest, safest, most cost-effective forms of exercise. Walking can be accomplished while on your lunch hour or on a trail after work. It can be done on vacation and business trips — outdoors or indoors. It can be done individually, with a partner, or in groups. Walking can be done by the beginner — just starting to exercise for the first time — and can be done for a lifetime with little risk of strain or injury.
How the San Juan College Walking/Hiking Challenge works
The Walking/Hiking Challenge will kick off during Trail Days on Wednesday March 12th at 2 pm with world renowned ultra-backpacker, and two-time National Geographic Magazine Adventurer of the Year Andrew Skurka. Skurka will present a slideshow for those interested in his many journeys. In addition, Skurka will give a gear and skills clinic at 7 pm on March 12th for those wanting to know more about backpacking. (Attendance to this event is optional for those wanting to join the hiking/walking challenge)
The challenge offers participants an option to reach a goal of 500 miles, the distance of the Colorado Trail. Andrew Skurka has thru-hiked the Colorado Trail, and we thought, "What a great challenge this could be for our community!"
Participants will be able to virtually hike the Colorado Trail while logging their miles online.
Groups may have a maximum of 10 participants and an option to do this solo.
- Hiking and walking sections must be walked or hiked between March 13 and May 8th in the calendar year of 2014.
- Join the San Juan College PSA Map My Hike Page at: http://www.mapmyhike.com/us/farmington-nm/san-juan-college-psa-group-120805
- Register for a free account on the Map My Hike website and start logging miles.
- No minimum walking or hiking distance per walk or hike; mileage may be accumulated in an unlimited number of walks or hikes.
- Participants may even log steps while at work, the gym, at home or even running errands around town. Every step counts!
Benefits for our wonderful walking/hiking challengers:
- Free rentals from the San Juan College Outdoor Rental Center for participants who have signed up on Map My Hike. This includes free rentals of trekking poles, backpacks, snowshoes, and even a tent and sleeping bag for a backpacking trip.
- Each week there will be a local hiking challenge offered. These trails will mostly be beginner and family friendly, with an occasional moderate to advanced trail for those who are looking for this option.
For more information, contact J.D Tanner at firstname.lastname@example.org