Student Success provides the life skills necessary to be successful not only in college but also in all careers. It develops the “soft skills” that employers desire such as communication interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with others.
Choices of Successful Students
- …accept PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, seeing themselves as the primary cause of their outcomes and experiences.
- …discover SELF-MOTIVATION, finding purpose in their lives by discovering personally meaningful goals and dreams.
- …master SELF-MANAGEMENT, consistently planning and taking purposeful actions in pursuit of their goals and dreams.
- …employ INTERDEPENDENCE, building mutually supportive relationships that help them achieve their goals and dreams (while helping others do the same).
- …gain SELF-AWARENESS, consciously employing behaviors, beliefs, and attitudes that keep them on course.
- …adopt LIFE-LONG LEARNING, finding valuable lessons and wisdom in nearly every experience they have.
- …develop EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE, effectively managing their emotions in support of their goals and dreams.
- …BELIEVE IN THEMSELVES, seeing themselves as capable, lovable and unconditionally worthy human beings.
- …see themselves as Victims, believing that what happens to them is determined primarily by external forces such as fate, luck, and power-ful others.
- …have difficulty sustaining motivation, often feeling depressed, frustrated, and/or resentful about a lack of direction in their lives.
- …seldom identify specific actions needed to accomplish a desired outcome. And when they do, they tend to procrastinate.
- …are solitary, seldom requesting, even rejecting, offers of assistance from those who could help.
- …make important choices unconsciously, being directed by self-sabotaging habits and outdated life scripts.
- …resist learning new ideas and skills, viewing learning as fearful or boring rather than as mental play.
- …live at the mercy of strong emotions such as anger, depression, anxiety, or a need for instant gratification.
- …doubt their competence and personal value, feeling inadequate to create their desire.
- Students who take LRNS 111 have higher GPAs and are more likely to graduate from college than students who have not had the class.
- Students will engage in experiential learning that will be life changing.
- Students will develop strategies to be successful, in school, career and relationships.
San Juan College
San Juan College