The Math Center
Fall & Spring Hours
Monday - Thursday, 8am-8pm
Monday - Thursday, 8am-5pm
The Tutoring Center is closed on any
day classes are not in session.
Student Success Center
West Classroom Complex Building
The San Juan College Math Center is staffed with trained student and professional tutors. Tutors are available for all math courses. Specific subject and tutor availability is posted within the center. Whether you need help understanding specific problems, general concepts, or calculator use, tutors are ready to help.
We encourage you to come to the Math Center with lots of questions as well as your textbook, notes from class, and any other useful handouts or materials. This will guide us in giving you quicker and more effective assistance.
"Where Smart People go to Get Smarter"
All services offered by the San Juan College Math Tutoring Center are FREE. All you need is a current SJC ID.
- Walk-in Tutoring: No appointment necessary, just login, find a seat and raise your hand.
- Workshops: The Math Tutoring Center hosts workshops to help with tricky topics such as factoring and calculator usage. A printed schedule of upcoming workshops is available in the Tutoring Center.
- Tutoring by Appointment or Distance Tutoring: Call for current information.
- Community Member Enrollment: If you are in a partner program such as GED, ESoL, NM Highlands, or UNM, you are welcome to use the Tutoring Center. Any old or new SJC ID number will work. If you don’t have one, then use your SJC library card number. If you need a library card, just take a picture ID and proof of mailing address to the circulation desk and sign up for free.
Resources for SJC Math Students
- Graphing Calculator Checkout: For students enrolled in courses requiring a graphing calculator, we have TI-84 graphing calculators that can be checked out for one semester at a time. Supplies are limited so come in early.
- Courses requiring a graphing calculator include MATH 160, 170, 180, 188, 189, and 251.
- Graphing calculators and certain scientific calculators are not allowed for MATH 095, 096, 113, 114, and 115. The TI-30XII is recommended for these courses. Consult your instructor if you have another model.
- Math 130 students are allowed more flexibility in calculator choice; however it is advisable to purchase one similar to what your instructor uses.
- Smartphone calculator apps are never allowed during exams.
- Hot Sheets: These free handouts are available for students. Handouts contain useful information on topics ranging from order of operations to trigonometric identities and calculus concepts.
- Manipulatives: If you are a hands-on learner, math manipulatives may help you learn faster through tactile experience. Ask a tutor for access to these tools.
- Available computers: There are many computers available within the Tutoring Center for students who need to access MyMathLab, WebAssign, or Canvas during a math tutoring session.
- Canvas Online Math Lab: Find helpful documents and links through our Canvas group. Click here to enroll yourself for free.