Steps to Apply for Financial Aid at San Juan College
APPLY JANUARY 1ST EVERY YEAR!
You must re-apply for Federal Financial Aid each year beginning January 1st. Receiving a final award package can take between 2-6 weeks. Loans sometimes longer. It is very important to apply for financial aid as soon as possible.
If your financial aid is not in place (i.e. awards are assigned and in accepted status) you may be dropped from classes. Simply completing or "filing" a financial aid application application will NOT hold you in class. All steps must be complete, including verification and loan approvals.
Step 1: Documents needed before you begin the FAFSA Application
- Your driver's license and social securtiy number
- A list of school codes you are applying to or have already applied to. San Juan College School Code 002660
- Your Federal tax returns for the prior year and your parent's tax return (if you are a dependent student)
- FSA ID The FSA ID- a username and password- has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN and must be created to complete and sign the FAFSA.
Step 2: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as January 1st. Apply online at [www.fafsa.gov].
- When and if directed, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool Tutorial to link your taxes. This will improve accuracy and save time.
- Be sure the online FAFSA is signed.
- Print or save your confirmation page.
Step 3: Receive Student Aid Report (SAR)
- San Juan College receives your FAFSA information in 6-10 days.
- Student receives the SAR (Student Aid Report) through email or regular mail within 3-5 days.
Step 4: Award determination and award letters.
Financial aid is awarded by the Financial Aid Office, but is disbursed by the Business Office. You will receive email notification of your award and you can check your web advisor.
How to complete the FAFSA in 7 easy steps: