Frequently Asked Questions

environmental health and safety & risk management (EHSRM)

Driver Eligibility

College vehicles are defined as any vehicles owned,  leased, or rented by San Juan College, used to transport people and/or cargo.  College vehicles are to be used by approved drivers in the performance of their duties for official college related business and not personal use. Generally, approved drivers are those who have met the requirements detailed below. Employees must immediately notify their supervisors, Human Resources, and EHSRM if their driving licenses are suspended or revoked. 

Passengers are limited to college employees, students participating in authorized trips, and invited guests engaged in college related activities. The "EHSRM Travel Agreement & Release" form (available from the college's portal, Forms Library website)is required for students and invited guests. Departments must retain these signd forms for a minimum of five (5) years. 

Vehicles allocated to the college's Department of Public Safety (DPS) might be used to transport passengers other than those listed above, as required, within the scope of their duties. 

Providing transportation to hitchhikers is prohibited.  Nothing in this policy shall be construed to prohibit the use or occupancy of college vehicles when rendering emergency aid or assistance to any person(s) or the use or occupancy by private sector mechanics or repair personnel in the course of performing required maintenance or repairs. 

Student workers are allowed (after training) to drive golf carts ONLY and cannot drive college or personal vehicles on official business.  See below for additional information regarding golf carts.

Liability insurance is provided for college employees operating vehicles for official business. The college reserves the right to recover from employees, the amounts expended to provide defense and/or pay settlements or final judgments, if it is shown that while acting in the scope of duty, the public employees acted fraudulently or with intentional malice causing bodily injury, wrongful death, or property damage.

Approved drivers are required to observe all traffic regulations and are personally responsible for any citations or fines.  Any traffic citations for driving under the influence of intoxicating liquour or drugs, or failures to obey any applicable traffic laws while driving on official business may result in suspension, denial, or revocation of driving privileges.  Failure to comply with this policy may result in further disciplinary action.  Employees may be assessed for the lost or damage of college vehicles (or rentals), if the loss or damage was caused while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or reckless driving. The college reserves the right to refuse individuals authorization to operate vehicles for official business based on MVD evaluations and/or college incident reports.  Drivers with excessive or extreme traffic violations may be subject to suspension or denial of driving privileges.

Approved Driver's List

The college maintains a list of individuals authorized to operate vehicles for official business.  The list is shared with Motor Pool (vehicle reservations) and the Business Office (travel requisitions, mileage reimbursement, etc.) 

All employees (including temporary, part-time employees, and adjunct faculty but not student workers) may apply to be approved drivers during the length of their employment contracts.  When employment ends, the employees are removed from the list.  

Driving on behalf of the college is a privilege and if it is determined that a driver may pose a risk to San Juan College and/or others, employment or driving privileges may be suspended or permanently revoked. EHSRM reviews MVD reports (license statuses, expiration dates, violation histories, etc.) and college incident reports regularly for all approved drivers.  A series of minor traffic violations can result in suspension of driving privileges. Minor traffic violations involve, but are not limited to, speeding, no-fault accidents, failures to yield, and illegal lane changes. Serious traffic violations can result in suspension or denial of driving privileges.  Serious traffic violations involve, but are not limited to, reckless/negligent driving, driving while under the influence, manslaughter/vehicular homicide, and causing injury or death while evading a peace officer. Approved drivers must immediately notify their supervisors, Human Resources, and EHSRM if their driving licenses are suspended or revoked. Employees with suspended or revoked drivers’ licenses will be immediately removed from the list.    

All email communication regarding driving status is sent through official SJC email addresses so please check your SJC email frequently. 

To become an approved driver all of the following are required.  Upon receipt of all documents, allow two weeks processing time.

  1. "EHSRM Driver Approval Application" form available from the Forms Library.  This form is required each time updated drivers licenses are submitted.

    This form authorizes the college to verify driving records: reviewing license statuses; violation histories; and other pertienent driving information. The authorization remains in effect for the duration of employment. Approved drivers must immediately notify supervisors, Human Resources, and EHSRM if their driving licenses are suspended or revoked. If, during review, it is determined that a driver may pose a risk to San Juan College and/or others, driving privileges may be denied or suspended. Drivers and their supervisors are notified, via SJC email, if driving privileges are denied or suspended.
  2. Legible copy of the front side of a current and valid U.S. driver's license.

    Employees living in New Mexico, Colorado or Arizona must submit copies of current valid licenses to operate motor vehicles in their respective states. Employees who recently moved to New Mexico are encouraged to immediately apply for New Mexico drivers' licenses.  Please visit the NM MVD website for instructions.  Employees living out-of-state should contact EHSRM to see if their states of residences are acceptable. Approved drivers must immediately notify their supervisors, Human Resources, and EHSRM if their driving licenses are suspended or revoked. 

    Approximately three (3) months before driving licenses expire, EHSRM notifies drivers, via SJC email addresses, to renew their licenses and submit updated copies. Many states allow drivers to renew online, please check the MVD website for additional information regarding this option.  

    Many states no longer issue updated licenses from local MVD offices, instead temporary paper licenses are issued and the updated licenses are mailed within four (4) weeks.  Temporary paper licenses expire within a month or so and, unless employees are travelling soon or recently moved to New Mexico, it's best to wait and submit the laminated license. 

    Because of the long processing time with state MVD offices, it strongly recommended employees renew licenses at least two (2) month before expiration.  
  3. Successful completion of the National Safety Council Defensive Driving course. 

    Employees may take a lecture style classe available from the Center for Community Engagement or the on-line (web) course.  For instructions to access the online (web) course, access the"EHSRM Defensive Driving Login Information" form available from the Forms Library and follow the instructions.  Login in as a "new student".  

    Within two weeks of successfully completing the course, ESHRM creates certificates and mails the documents to the drivers via campus mail.   

    Approximately three (3) months before certificates expire, EHSRM notifies drivers, via SJC email addresses, to renew certificates.   

Temporary, part-time employees and adjunct faculty no longer under contract with the college are removed from the list at the end of each term.  If re-hired, please contact EHSRM for assistance.


The college may suspend or revoke drivers' privileges for failure to comply with any provision of this policy.  Employees and their supervisors will be notified of each violation and administrative action.  Human Resources will also be notified.  As needed, based on the severity of the violation, decisions may include input from various campus executives and the college's legal counsel

Golf Carts and Off-Road Vehicles

To operate golf carts, employees must successfully complete the Department of Public Safety's (DPS) training.  Student workers are allowed (after training) to drive golf carts but cannot drive any other college vehicles. (including off-road vehicles.) Supervisors are responsible for ensuring student workers attend training as required.

Rented / Leased Vehicles

When employees rent vehicles for college business, additional insurance is not required if the trip is strictly for official college business only and only approved college drivers will operate the vehicles.  However, should guests (non-college employees such as spouses or other relatives) travel with the college employees and these individuals plan to drive the vehicles for personal (not college business) during the trips, the college recommends the employees purchase additional insurance from the rental agency, at their own expense.

Personal Vehicles

Occasionally, personal vehicles are utilized for  college travel.  When personal vehicles are used, current mileage rates apply for reimbursement.  Personal side trips are not reimbursed.  When employees travel on official business in personal vehicles and receive reimbursement, the mileage allowance indemnifies the college from any liability occasioned by the use of the personal vehicles.  The college's liability insurance coverage is, therefore, secondary to any personal auto insurance coverage provided by the employees and is limited to the Tort Claims Act limit.  The college strongly advises against transporting students in personal vehicles and encourages all employees to always use college vehicles when travelling on official business.  Please note that many personal insurance polices exclude work related activities from coverage so employees should check with their insurance companies to confirm coverage. 

Reporting an Accident

All college vehicles are state owned and as such are insured for liability, comprehensive, and collision with the State Risk Management Division.   Report all (college, personal, or rental vehicles) vehicular accidents that occur while travelling on official business to the local or state police departments and file accident reports. In the event of accidents occurring in parking lots, local police may not respond but when notified that state vehicles are involved, the state police will normally respond. At 
If involved in an automobile accident while driving an official college business, please follow these steps:
  • Do not admit fault or tell the third part that the college will reimbursement them for medical or property expenses.  The New Mexico Tort Claims Act requires that negligence on the part of the college is investigated and determined by the college's insurance carrier or assigned adjustor(s).
  • Do not transport any injured party.  
  • Offer assistance
    • Call 911  if needed
  • Obtain the following
    • Date & time of incident
    • Note road and weather conditions
    • Other driver(s) information
      • Full name, address (street, city, state, zip), phone number (with area code), date of birth, driver's license number (and state), insurance company (policy number, agent, contact information), license plate number, make/mode/year of vehicle, damage to vehicle, injury to driver (or others).  If possible use your cell phone to take pictures of driver's license, insurance cards (front and back), etc.
    • Witness/passenger information
      • Full name, address (street, city, state, zip), phone number (with area code), injury. 
    • Investigating policy officer's information
      • Name, bade number, report number, phone number (with area code)
    • If possible, take photos with your cell phone
  • Contact the college's Department of Public Safety (DPS) to file an incident report
    • 505.215.3091 (on call cell phone)
    • 505.566.3333 (2 minute radio call)  
  • Notify (email or phone) EHSRM and your supervisor as soon as possible but within twenty-four (24) hours of the incident. 
  • EHSRM will follow up to complete insurance documentation and acts as the point-of-contact for all parties

Staff Listing

Shelley R. Pickett Monica Beevers
Director Administrative Assistant

East Classroom Complex
Room 1116


Hours of Operation

Monday - Thursday
8:30 am - 4:00 pm

8:30 am - 3:30 pm

Closed daily 12 noon - 1 pm for lunch