Dual Credit Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

San Juan College is a great place to start and Dual Credit students can get a jump start on thier college career by earning college credit while obtaining core and academic credits for high school graduation.

show all

Dual Credit

Can my Dual Credit grades impact my future enrollment at SJC?

Enrolling in college level courses takes a large commitment on your part to be successful. Attend class on a regular basis, study hard and be successful during your first step into your college career. The grades earned at SJC are placed on your SJC and high school transcripts.

  • Scholastic Probation or Probationary Status – Students are placed on probation at the end of a semester or summer session when their cumulative grade point average (CGPA) falls below 2.0. Notification to students of scholastic probation or suspension is mailed to eligible students at the end of each grading period.
  • Continuing in Probationary Status – Students may continue to enroll while on probation provided they maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher. Students continue on probation if they withdraw from the College while on probation.
  • Removal of Scholastic Probation – Such academic standing is removed when the cumulative GPA is raised to a 2.0 or higher.
  • Scholastic Suspension – Students enrolled for a semester on probation are suspended when both the semester GPA and cumulative GPA are below 2.0. The first suspension from San Juan College will be for one semester. The second suspension from San Juan College will be for one calendar year. The third and subsequent suspensions will be for a calendar year.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012

Do the grades I receive as a Dual Credit student affect the Lottery Scholarship?

The GPA you earn from the college courses you completed as a Dual Credit student may affect your ability to maintain the NM Lottery Scholarship once you have qualified. This GPA is factored into your second semesters cumulative GPA. For any questions please contact the SJC Financial Aid office at (505) 566-3323.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Dual Credit students are not eligible for financial aid.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012

Do I have access to other SJC services and facilities?

Dual Credit students must obtain a SJC ID to access facilities and services. This includes computer labs, library, and the Center for Student Engagement.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012

Where do I pick up my textbooks?

Students can obtain their textbooks at the SJC bookstore. You must present a copy of your Dual Credit Request Form (given to you after you register) and SJC ID. Students should pick up their textbooks the week before classes start. The textbooks are the property of the high school and are to be returned to the counselor. Some high schools pick up the books for students. For more information contact the bookstore at (505)566-3260 and your high school counselor.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012

Where is the Dual Credit office located?

The Dual Credit office is located within the Enrollment Services office in the Clocktower Building.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012

If my high school is closed do I still need to attend my SJC class?

Yes. If SJC is in session and your class is on the Main, East, West campus or online, you do need to attend class.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012

Can my parent/guardian or anyone else have access to my information at the college?

No. According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FEPRA), SJC faculty and staff are prohibited from discussing grades or enrollment status with anyone other than the student unless a release form is submitted.

Tags: noneUpdated: 11/2/2012