Thank you for making San Juan College part of your higher education goals. To assist you in reaching your goals San Juan College has created many resources dedicated to student success. Online Academic Advising is your connection to these resources and the campus as a Distance Student! Stay connected with your online advisor to ensure your success.
Online Academic Advising Connects You by:
- Clearly explaining SJC requirements, policies, and procedures
- Helping students define and develop realistic academic goals as related to career goals
- Assisting with academic planning
- Providing resources and referrals
- Answering questions and concerns
- Encouraging and supporting you as you gain skills and knowledge necessary for success
- Advocating for and supporting students and student success
How to Register for a Course
Students with less than 24 credit hours are required to meet with an Academic Advisor prior to registering. For students with more than 24 credit hours the Student Academic Planner tool provides the tools to customize a course schedule using the students declared major and required courses.
Distance Academic Advising for Non-Program Specific Students
Eligibility Criteria for Online Advising Services
If you meet any of the criteria listed below, then you are eligible for Online Advising. If you have any questions or have extenuating circumstances, please email the Advising Center.
- Students who are seeking a fully online program at San Juan College.
- Students who are studying with San Juan College from a distance.
- A student who is dual enrolled at another institution while taking courses at San Juan College.
Please note, local students taking an online course while also taking classroom course still need to meet in person with their assigned advisor on campus.
Steps for Online Advising
- Complete San Juan College Getting Started Checklist.
- Email the Advising Center to be assigned an advisor:
- Include your full name
- Your SJC ID number (if you have one)
- Major at SJC if declared
- Any pre-planned courses you are considering
- Your student status (full-time or part-time)
- Any questions you may have
- You will receive an email identifying your advisor.
Distance Advising for Specific Online Programs
Students who are pursuing an entirely online program, listed below, will need to see the program’s specialized academic advisor.
- Occupational Safety
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Health Information Technology
- Veterinary Technology
- Associates of Arts in Liberal Arts
- Associates of Arts in Business Administration
If you are unsure who your specialized academic advisor is please complete the form below.
Purchasing your books
Check the San Juan College’s Bookstore webpage to find out which textbooks and other materials are required for your course(s).
First Day of an Online Course
On the first day of class online students are expected to log into Canvas. On the first day of class be sure to review your syllabus and course guide, along with completing any getting started activities your instructor may assign. Canvas can be accessed at http://canvas.sanjuancollege.edu.
For how to videos and detailed instructions about Canvas, visit Online Services.
SJC Username, Email and Password Reset
You will need your San Juan College login and password to access your online course through Canvas.
Username: first initial, middle initial, last name (first 12 characters only), last two digits of your Social Security number, for example: fmlastname23
Password: The default password is “sjcp” then the last four digits of your SJC ID Number, unless you changed your password. Your password expires every 90 days.
For additional information on how to access many of the different technology resources available to San Juan College students, download the San Juan College Student Technology Guide.