Steps for Applying for Federal Financial Aid
APPLY OCTOBER 1ST EVERY YEAR!
You must re-apply for Federal Financial Aid each year beginning October 1st. If your financial aid is not in place (i.e. awards are assigned and in accepted status) you may be dropped from classes. Tuition payment plans are available.
Step 1: Documents needed before you begin the FAFSA Application
- Your driver’s license and social security number
- A list of school codes you are applying to or have already applied to.
San Juan College School Code 002660
- Your Federal tax returns for the prior-prior year i.e. for 17-18, 2015 Federal tax information; for 18-19, 2016 Federal tax information, and your parent’s tax return (if you are a dependent student). Be sure the online FAFSA is signed using your FSA ID and if necessary, parents will sign with their FSA User ID.
- FSA ID- How to create FSA ID
Step 2: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as October 1.
Be sure the online FAFSA is signed using your FSA & password and if necessary, parents will sign with their FSA User ID & password. The Parent’s Guide to Filling Out the FAFSA Form.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to link your taxes. This will improve accuracy and save time.
- Be sure the online FAFSA is signed.
- Print or save your confirmation page.
Step 3: Receive Student Aid Report (SAR)
- San Juan College receives your FAFSA information in 6-10 business days.
- Student receives the SAR (Student Aid Report) through email or regular mail within 3-5 days.
Step 4: Award determination and award letters.