What is the Accuplacer Test
The Accuplacer is a computerized placement tool designed to provide placement and advising information for students entering college. San Juan College uses the assessment results to help students select the classes where they are most likely to succeed, and to determine course placement to begin taking classes. An advisor will discuss the score results with each student, and will also help create a degree plan to prepare the student to register for classes.
The Accuplacer is required for placement in all courses requiring reading, math, or English if placement requirements have not been met with previous coursework. Please see the catalog for more information on using ACT scores for placement at San Juan College.
At San Juan College, the Accuplacer includes:
- Reading Comprehension – multiple choice questions related to reading skills, such as identifying the main idea and making inferences.
- Sentence Skills (English) – multiple choice questions related to sentence structure and grammar such as how sentences are put together and what makes a sentence complete.
- Mathematics (Arithmetic and Elementary Algebra) – multiple choice questions that measure your understanding of math. Questions ranging from arithmetic to college-level mathematics are included. You will begin with the easiest section, and depending on your math skills, you may advance to more challenging Algebra questions.
The computer adaptive test has a set number of questions in each section to pinpoint a student’s skill level. The assessment is not timed. We encourage each student to take plenty of time for each question. The average testing time is two hours.
To release my Accuplacer Test Scores
To release your test scores to another institution, download the Release of Accuplacer Test Scores document, fill in all the information, provide the name and address of the institution you want the result sent to, sign and date it, and return it or email it back to the San Juan College Testing Center.
How to Prepare for the Accuplacer
We encourage students to select the date and time to schedule the test appointment using the online scheduler. Students who review key concepts prior to taking the exam are more likely to achieve their goal whether that is a degree, a certificate, or transferring to another institution. Both San Juan College East Campus and San Juan College West Campus offer the Accuplacer testing as a benefit to incoming students. Contact the East or West Campus if you wish to schedule an appointment there.
315 S. Ash Street, Aztec, New Mexico
next to the Aztec Public Library
(505) 334-3831 x200
69 County Road 6500 in Kirtland, New Mexico
The ACCUPLACER Web-Based Study App features practice tests in Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra, College-Level Math, Reading Comprehension and Sentence Skills, free of charge. You can access the site from your computer, tablet, or Smartphone (see supported browsers & mobile O/S below), and familiarize yourself with the basic content areas of ACCUPLACER tests. You will have access to the Study App for 6 months. The Study App site includes the following features:
- “Learn As You Go” tests provide you with an explanation of correct or incorrect responses
- Sample Tests help you experience what a real test may be like on test day
- Save your work and process, then resume practicing at a later time
- Review your score history to identify areas of strength and weaknesses
- Accuplacer Sample PDF
- Union Test Prep
- Khan Academy
- Math.com The World of Math Online
- Mometrix Academy
- Test Prep Review Site
- Varsity Tutors PDF
- iTunes Study Ap ($1.99 fee)
- Student Success Online Tutorials
- Accuplacer Test Tips
How do I take an Accuplacer if I am an online student
- Contact Don Allen at email@example.com to get specific details