About the GI Bill

Montgomery GI Bill

Educational Benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
Chapter 30 of Title 38

Montgomery GI Bill- Select Reserve

The Select Reserve program is for members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and the Army and Air National Guard.  MGI- SR or Chapter 1606 of Title 10

Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post- 9/11 GI Bill is for individuals who served on active duty after September 10, 2001.

Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferability

Sevice members who qualify for the Post 9/11 GI BIll can transfer unused benefits to immediate family members.

Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Dependents and Survivors of certain veterans are eligible for education and training opportunities under the DEA Program. Chapter 35 of Title 38.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

The REAP program offers financial assistance to those who are eligible for a variety of training programs.

VA Work-Study Allowance Program

Full-time or 3/4-time students who are enrolled in a college degree program, vocational or professional program, can earn income by participating in the VA work-study program.

Getting Started Using your GI Bill Benefits at San Juan College

  • Start by downloading the New Veteran Student Checklist and Certification Form.
    • It includes all the following steps PLUS the Certification Form which must be signed and stored in your file.
  • Apply by using your chosen benefit plan  VONAPP.
    • Shortly after applying you will receive an Eligibility Letter from the VA that will provide additional details regarding your eligibility.
  • Submit a copy of your Eligibility Letter to the Veteran Center/VA Official.
  • Apply for Admission to San Juan College
    • Be sure to check out the Military Friendly Policy to see if you qualify for other benefits.
  • Submit a copy of your DD-214.
    • The DD-214 must be signed and contain your discharge status.
  • Submit a copy of your Class Schedule and Accuplacer scores.
    • The VA will only approve classes based on the Accuplacer scores and your degree requirements. The VA will only cover you for classes that are part of your degree plan.  (Also any approved remedial classes and pre-requisite courses.)  Courses outside of your degree plan may be taken but will not be approved for benefits.
  • Submit copies of your military transcripts and college transcripts of any college you may have attended prior to coming to SJC.
    • Transcripts show classes you have taken and can be used to speed your graduation and save you time and money from repeating courses.  Your military service often earns you college physical education credit, and courses from other post-secondary schools may transfer to SJC.  In addition, the VA will not reimburse you for classes you have previously passed.  (If this information is discovered later you may have to pay back benefits.)
  • Submit a copy of your signed New Veteran Student Certification Form to the Veteran Center.

San Juan College’s Military Friendly Admissions Policy

Active military and veterans will receive the following:

  • Application Fee Waived: Currently, there is FREE application fee for electronic application submission and a $10.00 application fee for paper based application submission. Active military and/or Veterans will have this fee waived.
  • Guaranteed 2 Physical Education Credits (PHED 116 and 117) based on submission of military transcript showing Basic Training requirements and/or showing a minimum of 1 year of service.
  • Mandatory Placement Assessment (Accuplacer) Waived Until End of First Semester for degree seeking first time freshmen (or transfer students who have not completed a college level English and/or Math) who are stationed outside the United States. Note: the first semester will be limited to classes that do not require English, Reading, or Math pre-requisites until which time students have completed the assessment. Students will work with an advisor in the Advising and Counseling Center (ACC) to determine schedule of classes for first semester.
  • Possible In-State Tuition:
  1. In accordance with Section 135 of Public Law 110-315 (August 14, 2008), Higher Education Opportunity Act, members of the armed forces on active duty for a period of more than 30 days and their spouses/dependants are now eligible to receive in-state tuition in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. Once a service member or their family members are enrolled, they will continue to receive the in-state tuition rate as long as they remain continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside the state. Conditions apply– must work with the financial aid office to determine benefit eligibility.
  2. In accordance with SB 136 (2009), In order for a veteran who is not a resident of New Mexico to recieve in-state tuition rates, the veteran shall use the veteran’s federal educational benefits at a state public post-secondary institution. Conditions apply– must work with the financial aid office to determine benefit eligibility.

** Students will be originally placed into the system based upon their current residency status. Once eligibility benefits have been determined, tuition will be adjusted accordingly. For further information on eligibility benefits, please contact the San Juan College Financial Aid office at 505-566-3323 for more information. Or visit the Veterans Administration page for more information.