Admissions to Dental Hygiene
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the San Juan College Dental Hygiene Program selection process, students must:
- Meet with a Dental Hygiene Program advisor.
- Contact the Program to schedule an advising appointment.
- Be 18 years or older by Program start date.
- Have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Apply to and be accepted to San Juan College.
- This is not the same as applying to and being accepted to the SJC Dental Hygiene Program. Apply to San Juan College and when you apply, be sure to select Pre-Dental Hygiene as your major.
- Submit official college transcripts directly to San Juan College.
- Official college transcripts from each college you have attended must be sent directly to San Juan College through an e-transcript service. E-transcripts can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. By sending your official transcripts, we can properly determine which of the prerequisite and general education courses you have taken will transfer. This process may take 3-4 weeks. Be sure to have your transcripts sent in well ahead of the application deadline.
- Have completed all prerequisite courses by the start date of the Program. Prerequisites must be completed with a minimum “C” grade.
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete all general education courses before application to the program. General education courses must be completed with a minimum “C” grade.
- Have a college cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better.
- College GPA is based on the last 24 academic credits (course numbers 1110 and above). Most successful candidates have a GPA of 3.00 or better.
- Have taken the ACT or SAT Exam
- ACT & SAT Exam Information 2022-2023
- Submit ACT or SAT scores directly to the San Juan College Registration and Records Department. ACT or SAT scores can be sent to email@example.com.
- Include a copy of your ACT or SAT scores with your application to the Dental Hygiene Program by the application deadline.
- For more information about the ACT or SAT Exams visit ACT or SAT.
- Completed 12 total hours of documented dental hygiene observation time in three different dental offices.
Submit a completed application by 5:00pm on the first Thursday in April.
Health Sciences Clinic Requirement Update
At the San Juan College Dental Hygiene School of Health Sciences, we are committed to the well-being of our community, including our most vulnerable populations. In order to meet clinical requirements to successfully complete our programs, proof of vaccinations, including the COVID 19 vaccination may be required.
The San Juan College Dental Hygiene Program requires all students to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B. A quantitative titer will confirm immunity and all students must show evidence of immunity before starting clinicals. This process can take up to 6 months, and should be started as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Before you apply, make sure you meet all of the minimum eligibility requirements listed above. If at any time you have ANY questions regarding eligibility or the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us. Below is the Dental Hygiene Program Application and the In-Progress Grade Report Form. The deadline for applicants is 5:00pm MST on the first Thursday in April of each year.