ENgaging LAtino Communities for Education (ENLACE)
ENgaging LAtino Communities for Education (ENLACE) directly increases opportunities for traditionally underrepresented students, preparing them for success in higher education. By strengthening existing partnerships and creating new coalitions among Hispanic-serving institutions, K-12 school districts, communities, and businesses, ENLACE fosters a supportive network committed to elevating opportunities for underserved students. We empower communities to fight for social justice, education access, and equity across the state.
You'll receive invaluable resources through ENLACE and Herencia Latina Center, such as peer mentoring, academic support, and college and financial guidance. We'll also provide graduation assistance, opportunities to engage in cultural education programs and workshops, join student organizations, and receive leadership training. You'll also have access to internships, service learning projects, and community events, which are all part of our commitment to enriching your educational journey.
The ENLACE Ambassador Program is a talented group of students who gain valuable volunteer and leadership experience that transform communities. There are limited positions available. Every student must go through an application and selection process. Student Ambassadors are current SJC students selected based on leadership, scholarship, professionalism and desire to promote education and the well being of their community. Ambassadors uphold the philosophy, mission and goals of ENLACE and San Juan College through personal example and Servant Leadership. Ambassadors work together to enrich, advance and promote education and success within the Hispanic / Latino community.
- Must be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours per semester and stay enrolled throughout the semester
- Must have and maintain 2.50 GPA or higher (GED 480)
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) - Preferred
- Practice and uphold professionalism including responsibility, dependability and punctuality
- Sincere desire to represent SJC, ENLACE and the Herencia Latina center as a Student Ambassador
- Knowledge of Microsoft Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Reliable transportation – Preferred
- Provide service learning hours with ENLACE/Herencia Latina Programs by completing a minimum of 3 mandatory events each semester
- Collaborate with various departments on campus
- Identify and attend professional/educational training/conference/symposium/seminar
- Attend an ambassador training at the beginning of each semester
- Mentor high school students, work with parents, and conduct presentations in Spanish/English
- Plan, design, and carryout programs and activities
- Must represent ENLACE/Herencia Latina center and San Juan College with professionalism at all times
- Meet with a mentor, coach or ENLACE staff at prescribed intervals to assure your academic and personal success!
- Maintain a minimum 2.50 GPA per semester.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 20 lbs.
- Ambassadors are responsible for notifying ENLACE staff if they are unable to make their scheduled event (within 24-hours of event start-time). If missing an event, Ambassador must find replacement.
- One unexcused absence from assigned event or monthly meeting will result in your termination from the Student Ambassador program and all funding will have to be refunded to ENLACE
- All responsibilities are required, as stated above, to receive stipend and other program incentives
- Campus, regional and state recognition
- Leadership training and development
- Gain experience for resume and opportunity for letters of recommendation
- Exposure to various regional and state involvement opportunities and conferences
- Establish professional and personal contacts
- Be a part of fun and exciting events on campus and ENLACE/Herencia Latina centers
- Tuition Stipend per semester.
- Sincere desire to represent ENLACE events and San Juan College
- Enthusiasm to work with the Latino community
- Comfortably in large groups and give presentations
- Ability to work well with others
- Responsibility and dependability
- Desire to learn and develop skill sets described above
- Apply now! Selection process will take place during each Fall Semester.
At the very heart of ENLACE New Mexico are our students and families. They form the foundation of our visions, passion, work, core values and future. ENLACE’s family center initiative is based on the concept that student achievement improves when there is emotional and academic support from families and by integrating social and culture in their academic life.
The participants that are part of Parent Empowerment are Latino parents and students that want to learn and be on track about completing all requirements during high school for graduation and preparation for college. Parent network takes place once a month starting every fall semester all the way to the end of the school year. During this event, various guest speakers are invited depending on the topics presented that month.
Abriendo Puertas (Opening Doors) is a 10-session curriculum that promotes school readiness, family well-being, and advocacy by addressing best practices in brain development, key aspects of early childhood development, early literacy, early math, positive use of technology, civic engagement, parent leadership, goal setting, and planning for family success.
ENLACE Ambassador Application
The ENLACE Ambassador application in now available! Become a student leader while serving your community!
ENLACE’s Mission and Vision
ENLACE’s mission is to increase the high school and college retention and graduation rates of Latino and other students in New Mexico while smoothing the transition process from one level of the education pipeline to the next.
Is an education system that develops talent, builds leadership and transforms communities, schools that reflect New Mexico’s histories, narratives and aspirations and educators who use diversity to cultivate New Mexico’s human capital.
- Create catalysts and models for systemic change in education
- Strengthen partnerships between higher education and local communities in ways that increase parental and community involvement.
- Eliminate barriers that inhibit student success at transition points along the pathway to college.
- Facilitate the expansion and sustainability of successful programs through strategic planning, networking, leadership development, and policy engagement.
- Integrate key stakeholders through information and models that stimulate changes in policies and practices related to the education of all underserved students.
ENLACE & Public Policy
Our partners live and work in every senate and representative district in New Mexico. The ENLACE collaborative is a diverse population of universities, community colleges, public school districts, businesses, nonprofits, government agencies, students, families and community members. The principles that we promote unify us, our partners and our communities. ENLACE stakeholders believe that by working collaboratively with our elected officials, we can promote policy that enables us to provide educational opportunities and support for students throughout the State of New Mexico.
ENLACE NM Directorship