Mechanical Drafting and Design, AAS, and Civil Drafting and Design, AAS
Can you look at a design and see how it works? Do you like working with computers and appreciate good design? If so, a career in drafting may be right for you. You'll create drawings and computer simulations that help create everything from machines to buildings. Learn about San Juan College's two drafting degree program options, and start your career journey today.
Why Should I Pursue a Drafting Degree?
Drafting is essential for creating products and completing construction projects. As a drafter, you will produce technical drawings that provide accurate product-making guidelines. You'll help manufacture items from microchips to airplane parts. Or you can help draw buildings or topographical maps.
Earning an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in Drafting will teach you the skills you need to become a drafter. You'll practice using computer-aided drafting (CAD) to make accurate designs and 3D models. Get the knowledge and practice you need at SJC to become a drafter!
Why Earn a Drafting Degree at San Juan College?
Two Drafting Degree Options
At SJC, you can specialize your skills to be better prepared for the job market. We offer two Drafting AAS degree options:
- The Civil Drafting and Design Technology AAS prepares you for civil, map, and topographical drafting. Create detailed drawings of architectural and structural features of buildings. You'll also make maps for civil engineering projects such as highways, bridges, and public works. Learn about building materials, engineering practices, and mathematics to complete drawings. You'll receive a solid foundation in creating drawings and CAD.
- The Mechanical Drafting and Design Engineering Technology AAS provides you with drafting knowledge and technological expertise. You'll have the mathematical and scientific foundation to work in manufacturing and engineering technology. You will also become adept at creating drawings and using CAD.
Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD)
Get experience working with CAD programs. We'll help you use this advanced software to create more realistic images to simulate a future product or project.
Take advantage of SJC's low tuition rates with our Drafting AAS degrees programs. It's a great investment into your future career. You may even qualify to get your degree tuition-free through the NM Opportunity and Lottery Scholarships.
What You'll Learn in the Drafting Degree Programs
SJC's Drafting programs will teach you drafting techniques according to ANSI standards. Your instructors will teach you about these important concepts and many more:
- Shape description/Multiview drawings
- Geometric construction
- Computer Aided Design - CAD
- Materials science
Depending on your degree option, you'll take more specialized courses.
Start your career as a civil drafter. With this degree, you'll practice skills to prepare detailed drawings for building projects. Learn to use CAD and geographic information systems (GIS) to create drawings and maps for civil engineering projects such as highways, bridges, and public works. You'll develop knowledge of many topics including:
- Map making
- Engineering practices
As a mechanical drafter, you'll use CAD to create detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices in 2D and 3D. Practice using CAD to create three-dimensional models in your courses. Your skills will help you make designs for medical equipment, automotive parts, and more.
In your courses, you'll study many topics including:
- Advanced CAD
- Fastening methods
- Structural drawings
If you wish to transfer to a four-year institution to earn a bachelor's degree in drafting or similar program, we strongly encourage you to meet with your academic advisor. They will help you to choose the right classes to help you transfer.
Previous SJC drafting degree students have transferred to:
- New Mexico State University
- New Mexico Technical University
- The University of New Mexico
The Big Idea Makerspace
Drafting students utilize the tools at SJC's makerspace: The Big Idea. With your drafting skills, you can help turn dreams into reality by being a technician at The Big Idea Makerspace. You will work with fellow students or community members to make designs and drawings come to life.
Careers and Outcomes
Find an exciting and rewarding career as a civil or mechanical drafter. Because of the constant need for new products and infrastructure development, your job will always be in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for drafters in 2021 was $60,290.
Our graduates find positions as:
- CAD operators
Employers of SJC drafting degrees graduates include:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Process Equipment & Services Co (PESCO)