The cosmos dance across the dome, transporting you to the distant reaches of the universe without leaving your seat.
Explore the world of astronomy at San Juan College’s Planetarium!
An array of shows are offered for students and community members to enjoy throughout the year, along with videos on the dome using SJC’s new digital star projector. The Planetarium is home to a 24′ dome with a seating capacity of 60. A visit to the Planetarium is a learning experience in the science of astronomy.
There is no admission charge for planetarium presentations.
Types of Showings
- School shows are offered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from September through May
- Summer short classes can be made available for children through the Community Learning Center
- After-school group shows are offered on Tuesday afternoons
- Daytime filtered telescopic sungazes are offered once per month on Friday mornings
- Presentation time slots are offered as outreach to schools on some Friday mornings
- Public shows are once per month on Friday evenings
The Planetarium show schedule and additional information about Planetarium presentations are available on the SJC Planetarium Facebook page.
Join the San Juan College Planetarium's March AstroFriday presentation of The Astronomy of Harry Potter followed by a stargaze.
View the Total Solar Eclipse with the San Juan College Planetarium.
Join the San Juan College Planetarium's April AstroFriday presentation of Living Worlds followed by a stargaze.
Join the San Juan College Planetarium's May AstroFriday presentation of Solar Quest followed by a stargaze.
Please request your reservation 14 calendar days before the date of your visit.
Information needed includes:
- Show title or subject area you are studying (a specific show will be chosen based on the subject matter indicated.)
- Date and time desired (provide two choices)
- Name of school or group
- Mailing address
- Contact person
- Age or grade level of guests
Total number of persons (including students, teachers, leaders, parents, and any guests of your group, even babes in arms)
Please give as much notice as possible should you need to cancel or postpone a show. Contacts for groups are advised to schedule as far in advance as possible. All reservations are subject to open dates and times. The Planetarium reserves the right to substitute shows in the event of a technical difficulty.
Small groups might be scheduled with other groups if the planetarium director chooses.
Contact the Planetarium Director for Reservations.
Guidelines for Planetarium Visits
The San Juan College Planetarium welcomes interested guests to its show performances. A visit to the planetarium is designed as a learning experience in the science of astronomy. There is no admission charge for planetarium presentations. We do require your cooperation in planning your visits, and these guidelines will be helpful to you:
Planetarium seating is limited to 60 persons. If your group numbers are less than 60, other guests may be allowed to attend your show until the planetarium is at capacity.
The Planetarium requires any group making a reservation to present a confirmation slip sent by the planetarium to gain admittance into the presentation. Please arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled.
After a reservation is made, the person responsible for the group’s trip will receive a confirmation slip by mail or e-mail (if an address is provided). A printed copy needs to be presented before a group is admitted to the planetarium.
If you do not receive a confirmation slip in a reasonable amount of time, please contact the planetarium director to confirm the reservation.
To ensure the best experience for everyone, please share the following rules with everyone in your group.
- Normal daytime attire is acceptable.
- The planetarium does not allow eating, drinking, chewing gum, and smoking.
- Students must be accompanied by adults who will be responsible for their group’s behavior.